For Sale: Orange Prestige MTB Mens Mountain Bike, circa 1993

Re:

Probably more 1992, late 91 time? (it not a 1993 model) and it's the funny shape because it a extra large frame.
More detail would help.
I had the similar setup in a smaller frame, bitD same forks, XTR though.
Excellent bike, got knicked far too quickly (though my next bike I built was my Rocky Altitude I still have )

Is that a trike or similar in the background?

Re:

Went for a look at this today and can confirm it's a nice original bike. Didn't check the serial number but the short head tube and wishbone position point to 89/90 to me. My 91 is different all together.

Seller told me that it was a bike that was ordered and deposit paid but then never collected so it became showroom stock. The spec is very similar to the tiny Clockwork I had, including forks, which I was told was a team bike so you never know.

The one piece stem is a thing of beauty and worth a chunk on it's own. The rest of the bike is in decent condition and obviously has not been abused. All parts have plenty of life left. It's worth noting that the seller told me the Ground Controls have been sold so not now part of the auction.

I've um'd and ah'd about this one all day but think I'm going to leave it as having had a look at my 91 it's not a million miles off so probably not worth swapping. Speaking of which, seeing this has spurred me on to get mine rebuilt. :cool:

Anyway, before I change my mind the offer of collection and postage is still open.

Re:

I still think these where sold in 1991 (and old stock through to 1992) , the earlier ones where all clockworks. Could well have been made in 90, I don't know.
In fact it'll probably be hard to find may Prestige in this style. But iirc the large (20"+ish) frame size used this different styling (something I must have picked up over the.. how long have we been here Brocklanders, 10/12 year?)

It os nice, not 500quid nice. Quite a bit less nice.

Here's mine again. Bike I'm sort of after rebuilding one way or another.
Bought the frameset direct from orange in late 1992, a mate did work experience there. I knew nothing about them at the time except that they were top quality and bound to be lighter than my GT tank. I've figured it was some kind of 1990/1 frame in 19" with 1992 stickers applied by me. Size down from this sale one, or is it?
Any gurus think otherwise?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1557653519787.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557653519787.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 258
Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2cslnz3v said:
I still think these where sold in 1991 (and old stock through to 1992) , the earlier ones where all clockworks. Could well have been made in 90, I don't know.
In fact it'll probably be hard to find may Prestige in this style. But iirc the large (20"+ish) frame size used this different styling (something I must have picked up over the.. how long have we been here Brocklanders, 10/12 year?)

It os nice, not 500quid nice. Quite a bit less nice.

Too long dude. :facepalm:

Possible early 1991 but very early as my old orange/white 91 was the later style. I need to check the serial number of my current black one.

reanimation":6lewytl6 said:
Here's mine again. Bike I'm sort of after rebuilding one way or another.
Bought the frameset direct from orange in late 1992, a mate did work experience there. I knew nothing about them at the time except that they were top quality and bound to be lighter than my GT tank. I've figured it was some kind of 1990/1 frame in 19" with 1992 stickers applied by me. Size down from this sale one, or is it?
Any gurus think otherwise?

I'd defo say the one for sale is the next size up. Geometry is very similar to my old yellow/white 21" Clockwork.

Re:

Just had a look at the 1991 catalogue in the archive. Interestingly the pictured Clockwork (along with the Formula and Aluminium O) have the later geometry with longer head tube and wish bone that joins the seat tube at the same point as the top tube where as the pictured Prestige is the older style.

That being said it does say the Prestige shares the same geometry as the Clockwork so it is safe to assume the 91 model year Prestige were also the more modern design, making this a 89/90.

Back