For all you Tomac fans.. Tioga Disc Drive!

bushpig":1ndaf4av said:
Scant - it really isn't. Both the insurance and tracking stink for USPS. And the rates have gone up. I know people don't like high shipping numbers but it is expensive. Some sellers must be eating them if they charge so low.

this is just the US/UK exchange rate thing? consider yourself lucky, you think US is priccy? US IS cheap! UK IS priccy! :LOL:

I hear that. Last time I got a bike from the UK I paid like $500 in shipping and related fees. Ouch.

bushpig":3ak0t29w said:
I hear that. Last time I got a bike from the UK I paid like $500 in shipping and related fees. Ouch.

Yeah to be fair, forget the postage cost, wait til HRH Customs and Excise get ahold of it! :evil:

bushpig":3b6s13xa said:
Scant - it really isn't. Both the insurance and tracking stink for USPS. And the rates have gone up. I know people don't like high shipping numbers but it is expensive. Some sellers must be eating them if they charge so low.

dont know. i have no experience with actually claiming insurance from USPS but i bet that stinks with any carrier.

tracking of USPS international priority shipments (the cheapest USPS option for larger items) works very well on e.g. swisspost.ch (if sent to switzerland). they offer online tracking like UPS - each step can be followed. so it's not really USPS to blame for their poor international online tracking. online tracking with in the US works very well if that option is bought for $0.45.

$60 for US shipping is pretty steep and $150 overseas is even more so. if the seller charges that much for shipping he will just make less on the wheel. his problem IF he really pays that much for the actual shipping.

and honestly, it's not at all difficult to get a clear and reliable shipping quote online. no reason to loose money on the shipping.

carsten

Carsten":3ioeeh31 said:
bushpig":3ioeeh31 said:

dont know. i have no experience with actually claiming insurance from USPS but i bet that stinks with any carrier.

tracking of USPS international priority shipments (the cheapest USPS option for larger items) works very well on e.g. swisspost.ch (if sent to switzerland). they offer online tracking like UPS - each step can be followed. so it's not really USPS to blame for their poor international online tracking. online tracking with in the US works very well if that option is bought for $0.45.

$60 for US shipping is pretty steep and $150 overseas is even more so. if the seller charges that much for shipping he will just make less on the wheel. his problem IF he really pays that much for the actual shipping.

and honestly, it's not at all difficult to get a clear and reliable shipping quote online. no reason to loose money on the shipping.

carsten

when USPS gets to the UK its via parcel force, which despite getting slated has never let me down & again is tracked every step.

ebay has very strict rules regarding the shipping costs.
if a seller is overrating the shipping you can very well leave a negative feedback or even more claim your money back!

what i usually do (i have 515 pos feedback and i have not left a negative feeback so far) is to specifically ask for the shipping price and let the seller know that it is against ebay rules to overrate shipping. after that it usually comes down 50% .

i noticed that sometimes people overrate the shipping cost out of pure laziness. they don;t ask for the shipping price at the shipping companies therfore they assume a rate which is very common to be overrated!

150$ for a wheel to Europe is without question overrated!

UPS

Not sure where in Arizona this is but I did a UPS online quote with a generic LA zip and a Code for a bike shop in London and took a guess to the sizing and this is what UPS spit out at me. I think this is the reason why a lot of us do not ship overseas but suggesting to complain to ebay and threaten negative feedback is the kind of attitude that makes most people say that they are not intrested in the aggro.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time and Cost Summary

Rates By Service
Modify Shipment Information
Rates By Service
Service Latest Pickup
Time: Delivered By: Total
(All Packages)
UPS Worldwide ExpressSM

5:30 P.M.
Friday
December 5, 2008 12:01 P.M.
Monday
December 8, 2008 - Guaranteed 1,010.08 USD*

Billable Weight:
125.0 lbs.
Contact UPS
By:
4:30 P.M.
Friday
December 5, 2008
UPS Worldwide Saver

Friday
December 5, 2008 By End of Day
Monday
December 8, 2008 - Guaranteed 973.91 USD*

Billable Weight:
125.0 lbs.
Contact UPS
By:
Friday
December 5, 2008
UPS Worldwide ExpeditedSM

Friday
December 5, 2008 By End of Day
Thursday
December 11, 2008 - 652.59 USD*

Billable Weight:
125.0 lbs.
Contact UPS
By:
Friday
December 5, 2008
Rate estimates are based on export rates from the origin (Ship From) country.
Result estimates calculated by UPS: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:07 A.M. Eastern Time (USA)
* Rate includes a fuel surcharge.
Shipment Information
Shipment Details
Ship To:
LONDON, SW9 9TN, UNITED KINGDOM
Ship From:
90018, UNITED STATES
Shipment Date:
Friday, December 5, 2008
Total Shipment Weight:
15 lbs. ( ** Dimensional Weight applies to one or more packages, billable weight: 125.0 lbs. )
Customs Value:
800.00 USD
Daily Pickup?
No
Drop-off / Pickup?
I will pay shipping charges and ship my package at a retail location such as The UPS Store® or UPS Customer Center
Rates may vary at retail locations. Find Locations
Destination Type:
Residential
Number of Packages:
Duty Type:
01 - Dutiable
Package Details
Package Details
Package Actual Weight Dimensions / Packaging Declared Value Notices
1 15 lbs. 36 x 16 x 36 in. /
My Packaging 850 USD
*10KG and 25KG packaging and rates are not available at The UPS Store or UPS Customer Center locations.
Next Steps
Next Steps
Modify Shipment Information
Get Another Rate Quote
Prepare International Shipping Forms
Learn More about Shipping to this Country with Global Advisor
Guarantees and Notices
Subject to the Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service, UPS guarantees on-schedule delivery of packages shipped via UPS's services listed as guaranteed, or will refund your transportation charges. Guaranteed Service is not available in all locations and scheduled business days and delivery schedules are revised occasionally due to changes in distribution and volume. Service to some remote areas also may require additional delivery days. For current delivery schedules, service availability and information, and a description of the UPS Service Guarantee, see the UPS Rate and Service Guide. Certain commodities and high value shipments may require additional transit time for customs clearance.

Rates are estimates only based on Prepaid service.

Please Note: Shipping rates quoted are estimates based on the information you have supplied. Shipping rates quoted do not include duties, taxes or other non-routine customs brokerage charges. Other shipping charges, surcharges or accessorial charges also may apply. Your final shipping charge may differ based on your shipper characteristics and the characteristics of, and services requested for, packages actually tendered to UPS. Rates quoted here are based on UPS published rates. Please see the UPS Rate and Service Guide or the applicable service and rate guide in your jurisdiction for details. Rates and service may vary at retail locations.

Duty types are provided as a convenience only and should not be relied upon by shippers or any other person.

I got a whole bike from USA recently, two day air in std bike box, and paid 150 dollars. It actually cost them more, and was much more hassle for him.

Just factor in the cost when bidding, and bid accordingly. Theres no scam involved really, if not happy, don't bid :)

Back