Flying Scot renovation

scottmac

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got my Dad's ol' Flying Scot and I am going to bring it back to its former glory, but first need to dismantle it and store it safely.

Could someone please give me tips on the following?

1. There is oil/grease/dirt/dust on the frame. What should I clean it with?
2. Should I use some kind of rust preventer on the inside of the frame whilst it's in storage?
3. The headset and B/B are smooth, but I am going to remove them and would like to get the headset re-chromed. Anyone know of a good chromer in the South London area?
4. Is it worth getting the rear mech re-chromed?

The plan is to get the frame re-sprayed, chrome the ends, fit wooden rims (can you still get tubs from the 50s?) with Campag large flange hubs and Brooks saddle and components from the 1945-50 era.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what comonents I should use, I would be grateful to say the least ;)

Unfortunately, the bike has to be stored for the time being as I've other plans, but I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• scot_1.jpg
    scot_1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 887
  • scot_2.jpg
    scot_2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 887
  • scot_3.jpg
    scot_3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 887
It is in very good condition, but there are a few scratches on the frame and rust on the bottom bracket, headset etc.

I'm going to hang it on the wall when completed with proper period components. It's a tad too small for me to ride :(

One thing that amazed me was the quality of the paintwork when compared to the standards of today! :roll:

A mate of mine has received his frame back from one of the so called "best" painters of bike frames (no, I'm not naming names) in this country and it is pants compared to The Scot. I too have had frames repainted by "experts" in the business, and I've been very disappointed. Did they use secret Jedi techniques back in the day? :shock:

Can anyone help with my previous questions? Thanks ;)

scottmac":1uoqzice said:
It is in very good condition, but there are a few scratches on the frame and rust on the bottom bracket, headset etc.

I'm going to hang it on the wall when completed with proper period components. It's a tad too small for me to ride :(

One thing that amazed me was the quality of the paintwork when compared to the standards of today! :roll:

A mate of mine has received his frame back from one of the so called "best" painters of bike frames (no, I'm not naming names) in this country and it is pants compared to The Scot. I too have had frames repainted by "experts" in the business, and I've been very disappointed. Did they use secret Jedi techniques back in the day? :shock:

Can anyone help with my previous questions? Thanks ;)

I would agree with your comments about paint quality over the years. Always tricky deciding when/if to respray. Have you thought about a deep clean and just accepting the knocks/marks that remain as part of the bike's heritage and history? You might pay a lot for a respray only to be less satisfied than you are now sadly... :(

Regarding chroming; I was in Bob Jacksons in Leeds just 18 months or so ago having a frame refinished (no brainer as the seatpost had been removed by heat) and we talked about chrome plating. I was told that this has become very expensive in the recent past (I was told about a three-fold increase in price over the last ten years). The firms doing quality replating have apparently reduced in number (I don't have a figure but Jacksons implied the number was now very small). I'm sure others here can comment and may recommend platers? I'm 300 miles North of you, so not much help.

Cleaning: WD40 and Johnsons Baby Wipes (and a lot of elbow grease!).

Wheels: I find vintage sprints are MUCH more affordable than vintage clinchers. Wood rims can be found but alloy rims from the 50s and 60s are not too hard to source. eBay or Hilary Stone would be placed I would look. Not sure I would trust vintage tubs themselves to ride on :shock: ; go for amber walled modern equivalents (Vittoria do some).

Hope this helps

HW

Oh and rust prevention was mentioned recently on here, with a number of contributors advocating the use of oil and wax based soaks and sprays for this.

HW

Re:

Here is a source of Italian wood rims made using traditional methods: http://www.cerchiinlegnoghisallo.com/homeeng.php

I would advice you not to paint and, I think, this will be advice that you'll get from most of the people here.

To remove rust from steel parts: oxalic acid - you can order it from ebay, just dissolve 2 tea spoons of oxalic acid in jar of water and drop in all degreased parts and leave it for 24 hours, stirring from time to time. The water will get greenish. Does wonders and is quite effortless and easy. Wear gloves and be careful and as general rule with all acids: always add acid to water not the other way around.

Aluminium foil and water: other method for removing rust from chromed parts is to take a piece of dampened aluminium foil and rub the rusty parts. Does wonders as well, it just needs more work. Good method for bigger parts and flat surfaces - like steel rims.

Cleaning the frame: WD-40 and T-Cut.

Polishing aluminium: Autoglym or Mothers Polish. You can go for sanding the parts with wet sanding paper (starting from lower grade going to high) and finishing it with polishing mechanically using buffing wheels on a grinder or a drill and composites. This way you can achieve mirror polish, but some people don't like it. Autoglym or Mother's polish give really good effects.

You will see that after proper cleaning, polishing, regreasing, oiling, changing cables and bar tape the bike will look completely different.

I wouldn't paint that ... only paint when what you have is too far gone ...

;) Thanks to all of the above!

It has to be wood rims, as I remember my Dad saying he raced on them back in the day. As it's only going to hang on the wall, I will not glue the tubs.

The bars are off an old Carlton Continental, so they will be fleabayed, along with the SR seatpin.

Re. the scratches on the frame.

What do you think about getting one of those, "I can fix car scratches" geezers in, to buff out the marks?

Re:

They're not marks, they're experiences, I'll bet there is a story behind a lot of them, bit like the car analogy ie remember that stone that hit the bonnet while we were at such and such, another vote for leaving the patina intact and enjoying / guessing at the memories which may be attached to them. They're scars of life and life is never perfect so expect some memories....or make the memories up to reflect the scars ! It's a beautiful colour and would look amazing as it is, I had a few and let them go before I realised how important they were....

Enjoy it as it is :D

Re:

if you're going to get it done, then contact daves yates - he did all the flying scot renovations that we used to get back in the '80s and boy did we see some wrecks!! as long as the tubing isn't pitted with rust then it will respray nicely, otherwise you'll have a nice paint job on what looks like an orange peel!

:roll:

Back