Flooding ... and bikes

Repack Rider said:

Gary Fisher and I were working in the shop when a friend who lived across the street ran in looking for help in getting his piano out of his house as it filled with water.

See we are normall, that guy grabbed his piano. ed his bikes. Me too bikes and my Mac. I would be quite a site rideing one bike with one under one arm plus a computer on my back while trying to hold the third bike.
This makes me glad i live at the top of the house. Well out of the way of any water level.
Will summer ever arrive and stop raining :cry:

this really isnt meant as a personal dig at anyone, espically given the misfortune of a lot of people. but dont people research their new intended houses before they bought/ moved in?
I checked for flooding risk, land slips, subsidance, underground tunneling etc etc etc before buying my place.

scant":1x8i62jq said:
this really isnt meant as a personal dig at anyone, espically given the misfortune of a lot of people. but dont people research their new intended houses before they bought/ moved in?
I checked for flooding risk, land slips, subsidance, underground tunneling etc etc etc before buying my place.

I know a couple who bought a barn conversion, a barn well know for being 'wet'. They flood every winter and so Scant, in that case your point would be justified. However some areas are flooding for the first time (ever in some cases, in ages in others). The ones that have flooded and have been wetted before are not ususally as bad as this.

I know from the runoff from fields around here that the ground is saturated, so any water that does drop goes to the low ground, rather than being absorbed by the hills.

Oh, I want my summer back! ;)

scant":11aj05k6 said:
ah maybe its just my geography background going OTT when I reccied my place then :LOL:

I for one am feeling a little pleased about living a'top a hill these last few weeks.

Stick Legs":1xz7ufvj said:
scant":1xz7ufvj said:
ah maybe its just my geography background going OTT when I reccied my place then :LOL:

I for one am feeling a little pleased about living a'top a hill these last few weeks.

ditto that... although weirdly hasnt rained as much as forecast either...

scant":13vo2tvs said:

Yep, all good advice and what the vast majority of people do when buying a house although it is of course no guarantee that a natural disaster won't strike.

As pointed out above areas that haven't flooded before or for an extremely long time have flooded this time - the flooding patterns in Herefordshire for example are very unusual (and I can't help but think are related to the flood defences for a new supermarket!).

I'm feeling a bit guilty though because Herefordshire does not appear to be nearly as badly affected as Gloucestershire and parts of Worcestershire (although this will be irrelevant to people whose homes are flooded wherever they are).

Still haven't been able to go home either although I have heard that the septic tank is on top of rather than underneath the garden - should have some beautiful if not particularly fragrant roses next year.

ededwards":19wqyet5 said:
Still haven't been able to go home either although I have heard that the septic tank is on top of rather than underneath the garden - should have some beautiful if not particularly fragrant roses next year.

Always look on the bright side :D :cool:

Back