Fixies for day to day use - What's the point?

I thought the point all the messengers used them years ago was the lack of maintenance , freewheels do have a habit of skipping and constant use drys them out .

They were less nickable , both to the opportunist and because not having gears and a fixed one at that wasnt very cool at one point .

f**K, sh1t, boll***s, t**t and my fav this bike is a peice of cack

all said by people who crash that cant ride fixed as they are fashion junkies and not really cycleists i might i can ride fixed and ride it well but it does make me unnerved :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If I've been riding gears for a while I usually remember about the lack of free wheel just as I get to the end of the road and go to freewheel.

Fixed also means you can build a zero dish back wheel - much stronger.

i believe in fixies":2esvwk3e said:
I would dearly love to watch someone steal it not realising it was fixed. They'd hurtle off, go to freewheel and throw themselves over the bars hopefully causing serious injury alowing me to walk over, pick my bike up and kick them in hte nuts for good measure.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My da used to reckon they were good for getting fit...

(but then so is jogging and I aint doin' none o that!)

Fixies are for couriers and courier wannabees

i've seen some 'crackers' in the city lately,takes all my strength not to point and laugh

I used to time trial on a fixed 20 years ago, now I only use one to train on through the winter.

I do really enjoy riding fixed and no matter what people say to the contrary it does give a more intense workout ;) but thats mostly down to the fact we're all inherently lazy and fixed riding takes the choice away from you :LOL:

I've seen some of the most spectacular crashes ever from people forgetting their riding fixed and trying to freewheel, its a truly amazing sight seeing how far a fixed wheel bike can fling you in the air bucking bronco style :LOL:

I wouldn't ride one to work everyday but if I want to make myself puke on a training ride there's only one bike I take ;)

Just as a matter of interest, how many of the folks replied have ridden/owned a fixed wheel bike for any length of time?

Back