Festive Frolics ride - Monday 30th December. Pitmedden.

Re:

Totally understand Andy.
Need someone to organise a more westerly ride sometime, see if we can tempt out some old faces. ;)
Have a good New Year.

Well that was crackin'!!!
Trails a lot drier than expected, only a few boggy bits and some nasty slippy roots to watch out for (eh OCP :LOL: )
Good to see everyone ( where was the invisible Rob? ), puts me in the mood for more of the same next year.
Just need to find some younger legs.

Re:

Yep most enjoyable ride today, first time proper back on bike in a month. Legs felt good though. Very surprised st how dry it was to be honest.

Didn’t get off to a good start When we could find the first trail out of the carpark due to the amount of leaves.

27.5plus was amazing on the rooty climbs, cleaned the first climb up beside the wall, usually that’s a real struggle.

Good to catch up with clubby and Velo, we def need to do that more often.

Re:

Great fun, discovered how bad my fitness and off road confidence has become. Need to practice, it was like being a newbie all over again and my newbie days were over 30 years ago.
Now I am a broken man, lots of recovery time needed :)

Re:

I feel a bit knackered myself velo, not been out much during last 2/3 months. Must admit, despite no liking roots I enjoyed the ride, haven't lost as much fitness as I thought. You can spend your recovery time building/finding a bike with suspension forks which won't actively participate in breaking you. :mrgreen:

Trails way drier than I expected but seeing as I'm a glass half foo auld fecker I'm more inclined to say that they weren't as wet as expected. ;) Leg/knee is a bit stiff and sair. :( I too could do with younger legs etc....

What I'd heard about Rob was that he's been selected as the UK's sole entrant in Hide and Seek for next year's Olympics. He's gone into hiding now coz if they cannae find him at all till afterwards how can he lose?
SPOTY 2020 nae bother.

Re:

Some lessons learned, some of which you guys will not agree with:

I cannot justify a new or newer bike based on being unemployed and effectively on long term sick so the Lionbike Assagai remains my steed but it can be improved from my horde of spares.

Need to change forks to a shorter A-C measurement possibly 395 mm as what I rode made geometry too slack. Not bothered about suspension, never have been as I don't ride fast and prefer picking my line through obstacles.

Despite our conversation on tyre pressures I now realise I was running the tyres too hard hence my grip issues. Even cheapo tyres, as they are, will grip better at about 35 psi instead of the 50 psi I found I was using :facepalm:

Wider riser bars and shorter stem are a must, I couldn't get enough leverage for the twisty's.

A 1 x whatever gear set up using indexing which I have never mastered has to be mastered :oops:

Assagai will be a wee bit different next time you see me but you will see me as the run helped my mental state...........if not my physical :LOL:

Re:

Sounds like you had a good day out. Sorry I couldn't make it. When I initially agreed to come I just looked at my shift roster and realised I was off but didn't realise it was straight off 3 x 10 hour nights.
Another time hopefully.

Velo , I have recently started running much lower tyre pressure and it is now evident that hard tyres were probably the cause of many a washout over the last 20 years , but didn't everyone run higher pressure back then?

Re: Re:

Was a shame you couldn’t come, but the right decision.
Definitely more rides there this coming year. None of us had ridden there much in 2019, and this ride reminded us how good the place is.

Hawmaw":1xiyc3dg said:
Velo , I have recently started running much lower tyre pressure and it is now evident that hard tyres were probably the cause of many a washout over the last 20 years , but didn't everyone run higher pressure back then?

Problem was that older narrow rims and tyres needed higher pressures to avoid pinch flatting on every root or rock. I used to ride 40-45 psi to stop that happening.
Wider tubeless tyres solve that issue allowing ridiculous pressures and more grip. On my full sus bike with 2.3’s, I’m running mid 20’s psi. On the plus bike it’s more like 15.

Re:

Done a lot of looking at youtube about tubeless and feel I have nothing to lose by trying a ghetto tubeless conversion. If it does not work, all I lose is the cost of the latex liquid stuff as I have everything else to give it a go. :)

Back