Female bike shop staff...?

you tend to get girls working in the bikehut at halfords, but i think they just rotate staff round the shop.
only time ive encountered a female sales assistant in an actual bike shop was about 20 years ago. not a pleasant experience, i wanted to buy the fattest tyres you could get at teh time, cant remember which now. they didnt have them, but she started giving me the hard sell, eventually told me i mustnt know anything about mountain biking cos all the pros were starting to use thinnner tyres anyway. i was only 15 :( dents a boys confidence that does.

Crayons":2xvag00a said:
There's a girlie that works at SJS cycles in Bridgwater (road racer type), used to work and race for Barrettos Bikes of Plymouth BITD

Can't remember her name though (are names really that important :? )

That will be lisa then.

Seems the workshop thing is a recurant theme - my only memory of a girl in my LBS was one that nearly ended in me having a very nasty crash! I'd taken my Stumpy in to have new forks and brakes fitted, I got my bike back, went to ride down the slope from the shop door (that leads straight onto a busy main road!) but thankfully then realised that the stem hadn't been done up on the steerer! And the brakes had been attached but not actually adjusted in any way, shape or form, so I basically couldn't steer or stop if I had tried to ride off!

I haven't been back.....

Nothing against girls in bike shops but f*cking hell I've got a very low opinion of one in particular!

I've worked with a few.

Just like the blokes - a mixed bag. Some good, others hopeless. And similar percentage of each category, regardless of gender.

When I started to work at York Cycleworks the blokes were outnumbered by the women!

We had 4 women at one point and 3 men (2 in the workshop F/T) and me on my own-some with the 4 girls!

Things have changed around now quite a bit, we now have 5 men and 1 women!

We never even seem to get job applications or even work experience girls.... always fellas!

Things in the bike trade can't be all bad can they! :shock:

The only explanation I can offer is that all the women seem to trot off to better (paying) jobs !?! the blokes tend to stay put!.

I prefer the bike trade to any other job I have had! - relaxed and easy going! The money ain't too bad either (providing you are in charge!)

toadoftoadhall":3fqf18s5 said:
Crayons":3fqf18s5 said:
There's a girlie that works at SJS cycles in Bridgwater (road racer type), used to work and race for Barrettos Bikes of Plymouth BITD

Can't remember her name though (are names really that important :? )

That will be lisa then.

Cheers mate – henceforth I shall appear more polite and considerate by calling her Lisa, rather than just 'ere woman

Only joking – she was on the phone last time I was up there so I never got the chance to talk to her.

Bikeshopowner":2itke5xw said:
When I started to work at York Cycleworks the blokes were outnumbered by the women!.........

Jeez- right enough- thinkin' back, I was always served by a lady when I went.......have to say I probably spent more as a cause, the male need to be sauve and impressive!! :p

Back