Female bike shop staff...?

Crayons":1rzcmy2j said:
Can't remember her name though (are names really that important :? )

They are if you call them by the wrong name :shock: :LOL:

in the 19 years of dribbling in bike shops, I've never seen one.

in the 19 years of dribbling over women, the ones that liked bikes didnt like me... dammnit!

They are out there, and probably want to be judged on their knowledge and customer service rather than their cup size :)

The last store i ran was very keen to have girls working- but more than one at one time always created friction..................

Andy

Cycleworld Atherton used to be run a woman, Kerry was her name, spot on when it came to parts and counter work, but wouldn't be seen dead in a workshop. Good to work for also.

andy.l":p9hc2jzm said:
Theres one in BIKE Bristol,very tasty indeed :p

As I read that Andy your avatar waved at me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Went to a bike shop in NYC in January and there was a lovely lady in there :shock: Knew her stuff too :p

When I worked in John's Bikes in Bath (this was a long time ago, the early 90s - when retro was bang-up-to-date), John had a policy to try to have one woman working in the shop full time. In my time there was Siobhan (cute, but not too interested in bikes and thus slow to learn about them. She was great at selling clothes, though) followed by Louise who got quite into it, became a competent pre delivery inspection and set-up mechanic (known as the wench-wrench) and was featured in MTB Pro (in one of the Paul Hinton masterclasses) and ended up marrying Paul's ghost writer.

Our shop is run by Sue. Hayley used to work here before going off to do 'proper' work and Alice now does some general stuff, albeit mainly tidying up. Also the BreakPad shop and B+B at Kirroughtree is run by two girls, Claire and Sam (good B+B too).

The critical thing is that bike shop folk tend to be into bikes as well as cycling. A lot of the girls one meets riding love their cycling but the bike is more incedental to them. This may be a factor. Also trade jobs suffer a bad effort/reward ratio and sensible ladies probably see this.

My ex girlfriend got a job in a bike shop, which she says she only got because she was wearing little shorts on the day she went in to buy a set of lights.
Really, is it any wonder a lot of women are put off cycling by professionals?

Back