Faux, Fake, Cosmetic Tioga Discdrive Prototype.

Re:

The intention was always to build a wheel cover of sorts which looked better than a black sheet.

Re: Re:

mullinino":1q1aflp3 said:
Flippin great! Get 'er rid, test it to destruction, make some more, get yer own name on 'em, sell 'em etc etc...good job!

:xmas-cool:

Thanks mate.

My everyday job involves recreating and restoring stuff so this really floated my boat..

Re: Homemade Tioga Discdrive Prototype. Pic heavy

Mega!!! If you'd have only posted the last pic, you had me fooled. Can you exactly replicate Ferrari 250 GTOs by any chance? :)

Re: Homemade Tioga Discdrive Prototype. Pic heavy

Ingenious - whatever next?! A carbon-tubed Yeti perhaps... ;-)

Re:

I initially though the ABS plastic needed to be pretty thick for strength but once it's tied to the existing spoked wheel, it' rock solid so a much thinner version would probably do the trick.
I think a semi transparent version would be very doable if I could disguise the spokes underneath it.
Having less spokes than the original makes the weaving of the cord pretty tricky as it never seemed to end up in the right place.

Can anyone tell me what colour the kevlar cord used on the Discdrive actually is?
I used to be involved in constructing composite race car seats and the Kevlar we used was very yellow.

Re:

It was standard kevlar cord colour so the pale yellowy creamy colour.

The disc was also a blue colour, it black.

I like it though and likely to last quite some time longer.

We all know they were only there as a large advertising board at the races ;-)

Back