Father & Son Claud Butler Restoration

The History Man":1rubxipe said:
Did you use Hannibal Lecter’s freezer?
Ha! :LOL: Yes it does look like it... that’s "Ham Solo", last year's pig. I know people say you shouldn’t name an animal you intend to eat, but my kids don't seem to have a problem as long as the sausages keep coming!
Right, got the summer house sorted so back on with the build, Jimmy had his first crack at copper riveting the head badge on, and made a superb job of it, no misses & neatly done.

Attachments

• file3.jpeg
    file3.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 565
  • file-2.jpeg
    file-2.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 565
Lovely to see the skills being transferred.

What colour was that from Bob’s palette?

Bob Jackson's "Bright Yellow Enamel", it was an almost perfect match for the original Holdsworth "Canary Yellow"
It really pops doesn’t it? If my research is correct, 1969 was the only year they used it on the Super five.

Just a quick reminder that Jimmy’s ’69 Electron isn’t the only bike being restored on this thread, here’s a progress shot of my ’84 Majestic.

Attachments

• file-4.jpeg
    file-4.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 535
The History Man":2jccemm0 said:
Another short guy eh?
Yes, at 6’ 1” I’m not too lanky but with a disproportionately long set of legs I do prefer a big bike (23”+) but I thought if I’m rescuing a Majestic, I may as well make it a big one!

PeachyPM":15kswy5l said:
The BIG DAY has finaly arrived....yes the frames are here. I picked them up from Bob Jackson's in Leeds this afternoon.
I'm properly impressed with the finish, & thoroughly enjoyed watching Jimmy un-wrap them on my return home.

The build is back on! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wow! Those really look incredible. :)

Cheers Jumphigher, we are well pleased!

Finally manged to get home from work early for once, so Jimmy & I popped into the workshop to fit some shiny bits to his Electron, BB & crank tomorrow, then we pause again whilst we wait for the balanced wheels. :D

Attachments

• progress.jpeg
    progress.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 466
  • Bars.jpeg
    Bars.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 466
  • Forks.jpeg
    Forks.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 464
  • grease.jpeg
    grease.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 466
PeachyPM":2oslvadi said:

Finally manged to get home from work early for once, so Jimmy & I popped into the workshop to fit some shiny bits to his Electron, BB & crank tomorrow, then we pause again whilst we wait for the balanced wheels. :D

Once again, what a cool project, nice to have something you guys can do together that will open the door for (hopefully) many fun rides. I feel like you dont see much of that these days.

I built my only bike - a road bike - myself. Picked up a really nice steel Koga Miyata lugged race frame on Craigslist here in the states, and bought all the parts the same way. It's all Ultegra 9 speed with down tube shifters. I could've gone with brifters but prefer the simpilicity of the DT shifters.
I used to work in shops in the 80's so I am able to do all my own labor. It's a mix of (fairly) modern and vintage, and only weighs a bit over 18lbs. I ride it around 30-50 miles daily. I hope to eventually build up a true vintage racer like the ones you you're building with your son. It'll all be period correct. :)

Wish I could join you two for a ride. :)

Jumphigher":1zsrzusg said:
PeachyPM":1zsrzusg said:

Once again, what a cool project, nice to have something you guys can do together that will open the door for (hopefully) many fun rides. I feel like you dont see much of that these days.

I built my only bike - a road bike - myself. Picked up a really nice steel Koga Miyata lugged race frame on Craigslist here in the states, and bought all the parts the same way. It's all Ultegra 9 speed with down tube shifters. I could've gone with brifters but prefer the simpilicity of the DT shifters.
I used to work in shops in the 80's so I am able to do all my own labor. It's a mix of (fairly) modern and vintage, and only weighs a bit over 18lbs. I ride it around 30-50 miles daily. I hope to eventually build up a true vintage racer like the ones you you're building with your son. It'll all be period correct. :)

Wish I could join you two for a ride. :)

Jumphigher, have you got a thread on here somewhere for your build?

Back