Father & Son Claud Butler Restoration

Why don't you modernise the bikes components instead of using the old components rechromed - it's just old bikes have too hard gearing which may put a young one off...

Quality thread though

JoeH":2ga2bthb said:
Why don't you modernise the bikes components instead of using the old components rechromed - it's just old bikes have too hard gearing which may put a young one off...

Quality thread though

Hello JoeH, glad you like the thread, I do know what you mean about using more modern parts, I'm not a snob about this subject as I have in the past dressed up vintage frames with (sometimes) cheaper more easily available parts.
But the point of this project was to pass on some of the skills my dad taught me, not just get Jim a new bike. (Hes got a MTB & a brand new BMX) that's why I bought two survivors that had completely original kit, so we could strip, service/clean then re-build.
I must admit I didn't predict how much my boy would get enthused by this project and I think that's because hes got his hands dirty and can see some results. I'm not sure it would be quite the same bolting new stuff on.
I don't doubt at some point he will do something a little more radical, he already has his eyes on his grandad's 50's Elswick Hopper frame that he wants to turn into a hipster fixie!

This weekend Jimmy and I started the strip down of his wheels, he has already spent some time working on the Van Schothorst rims with mixed results (he's not really happy about the finish), But now its a few degrees warmer, we got back in the workshop and started with removing the near perished Michelin tyres and also the hubs, carefully picking out the ball bearings with some large tweezers.
But after closer inspection we realised (I must admit I hadn't paid much attention to his wheels, as I've just let him get on with the cleaning) that a few of the spokes were a little worse for wear, kinked/bent in places.
So we had a sit down with a brew and had a chat..... conclusion of which was; full strip of the wheels, spokes and all.
So it's rims off to the chromers in the morning, and the spokes to be straightened and polished.
First job, cable tie the spokes together, I find this a much easier way of keeping things organised. Jim's small hands became very adept at using the spoke key, and then I showed him how to un-tie and work on a pair of spokes at a time, clean the area on the hub locally around the holes, then thread the spokes back in, re tie & move on to the next pair.
Front wheel done, just waiting for the correct freewheel tool to turn up then it will be on to that during the week (after homework)

Attachments

• Shiny.jpeg
    Shiny.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 504
  • SpokeKey.jpeg
    SpokeKey.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 504
  • CableTie.jpeg
    CableTie.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 504
  • WheelStrip.jpeg
    WheelStrip.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 501
  • Tyre.jpeg
    Tyre.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Balls.jpeg
    Balls.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 501
  • Axel.jpeg
    Axel.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 501
CBguy":2qsafbvr said:
Great hand posture while using the bayonet forceps to remove hub bearings!
Perhaps I should sign him up for medical school...surgeons hands you think?

Certainly looks like he has the skill! Life style decisions are important as well ... perhaps would interfere with his bike passion! :)

The spokes in your wheels form a very simple pattern. It would have been a lot easier to remove the spokes and save them to rebuild the wheels. Lacing a wheel in the professional way yours are is simplicity itself. Back in the 60s when I was a retailer one man business I sometime bought spokes more than 100 gross at a time, and many rims in case lots usually 25 pairs. I could insert the spokes loosely laced in a 40 hole cheap wheel in 3 minutes, a factory time would be 2.5 minutes so I wasn't that good.
You still have to tension the wheels which is the harder part.
If you wish I will write a brief instruction on lacing a 32 spoke wheel.

Keith

Lovely story and very well documented . Your son is doing (&learning ) a lot and you are having great time. Just looking at those little hands I can perceive the passion he puts on it ! Well done both. A future enthusiast of old school and diy!

JoeH, that's a neat tool

Keithgloss, 3 mins is pretty tidy to lace a wheel, I have done it and will do it again (my next project is to restore my 54' Jubilee Special. But, the Electron is Jimmy's build & I'm conscious I'm throwing a lot of stuff at him and he's really keen to do this work himself, and not have me take over. He's 11 and its his first build. maybe next time.
Ps I'm fortunate enough to have a local old school shop http://www.eastgatecycles.com/ where the chap does a cracking job finishing the wheel off for £10

jordic1968 cheers for the positive comments, Jimmy gets quite a buzz reading them!

Back