Fat Chance Shock a Billy project

Minifreak":26tpjbou said:
Wheels are built :)

A lovely blue Ringle seatpost and green Ringle stem have come up for sale. I really like to post and stem I have on this currently. Am I wrong to keep them or should I go Ringle ano? Please help me decide.

Wheels look real nice mate :cool:

Personally, if it were me, a FAT which will have a fresh aqua repaint, sweet anno wheels, tasty cranks and those brakes, I think it would be rude not to go Ringle anno stem and post :D

I know but that pound is going to be another £200 which is the cost of the paint job!

I know a Fat build isn't cheap but where do you stop?

This is going to be a rider and the stem setup is just right for me as it's not a big frame and I'm 5 11". The stem I may buy is 120mm and 5degree rise. The one on it is 15degree.

Right, bit the bullet and she is now sporting a turquoise Ringle stem which thankfully has some rise to it and the matching seatpost.
I've had to shim both as the correct sizes/ length/ rise and diameters just weren't out there for sale.

Minifreak":2xk02s4l said:
..I've had to shim both..

I'm sure you have, but check that both Shim and Seatpin are long enough in the frame to sit below the TT/ST join.. Otherwise all the weight is taken on the ST/Spar :cool:

Lookin good tho Dude.. Screaming out for that AquaFade ;)

Thanks for the advice, I'll pull out the shim and check against the frame, pretty sure it sits a little below the bottom of the top tube.

One more ride then stripping for paint ;)

Minifreak":20kf57dd said:
Thanks for the advice..

No problemo :cool: I always slotted in a Thomson 29.4mm 440mm unit when I was headed out on my Billies.. I'm sure the Purists would hate it, but..

The seatpost shim does reach below the lowest point on the top tube so hopefully it'll be fine.

Hey Tc, I used this shim:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121558206321?nav=SEARCH

The quick garden test and wheel between legs and try and twist the bars test seemed to show it works fine. The bottom of the shim pushes down on the 1" spacers I have used and the top of it sits flush with the stem/ top cap and therefore the bearings can be preloaded.

I could only find 1" Ringles with 0 degree rises so this has sorted that issue nicely :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm a dufus I was thinking quills,

That's a point can you shim a quill?

Back