Fat Chance Buckshaver sizing.

Waterford 45

Diamond Back Fan
Sort of a vague question but could any Fat Chance owners tell me

what height of person would a Medium 1993 fat chance buckshaver frame suit?

Im 5'11", and 33 inside leg.

Thanks.

Here are the only two images I have easily to hand (pulled from fbk.) of me riding my
FAT Chance Buckshaver size large (need to verify this , but it is certainly bigger than Medium)
Am also around 5 11” ish in height , was running a 120mm stem in the images.

I also rode 2 differing size M Yo Eddy for awhile (sold on here years back) could ride both ok / no prob bit for my own ergonomics on reach / handling the next size was the sweet spot. Just sharing my riding experiences, not saying yay or nay.

By coincidence was research Buckshaver sizing , as spotted a custom FAT City staff build on eBay recently in USA, but concluded after a conversation with seller would be too litttle / compact for me…I posted the auction in the Auction Watch zone on here…

P.S. am a little biased , but the Buckshaver is actually my fave FAT Chance frame…😍and I also have a FAT Chance Titanium 1993!😎 ( hope this opinion does not break retrobikeo_O:LOL:🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Attachments

• 38F17274-8912-427B-AF55-9D049D033B8D.jpeg
    38F17274-8912-427B-AF55-9D049D033B8D.jpeg
    750.1 KB · Views: 16
  • D0F4A8DA-2FF3-4888-B3E9-FBAE9DA90544.jpeg
    D0F4A8DA-2FF3-4888-B3E9-FBAE9DA90544.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
FAT say a M is for 5’10”-6’, M/L 6’-6’2”, L 6’2”-6’4” XL is up from this. It also depends on your trunk/leg ratio. If you are longer in the legs shorter trunk the lower size may feel better and vice versa but theres also personal preference too. FATs typically have a longer TT.A larger frame gives a typically softer side and vice versa. Crazy long or short stems to compensate for a non optimal frame size dont work IMO, as it throws your weight/bike balance off.

Just my 2c 🤗

Yeah what he said ^
"By the book" gives you a hint, then personal preference takes over. I ride an L Yo with 6'1" and long legs, 100mm stem and wider bars to calm down the steering. Should not work by common wisdom, but I prefer to ride a larger frame with the taller head tube to get rid of "the hunch".

So size M could fit, if a bit on the small side. If you get a fair price I say worth a try. Good thing that vintage bikes hardly have any depreciation.

I am 5'10" with a 32" inside leg and have a S/M frame, i prefer the lower stand over height but a M would fit me the same. The M/L would be a bit too long in the TT, so at your size a M should work fine.

Morning. Medium is good. I’m 5’11 and have a medium with a 120mm stem.

That said, I have an ML Yo which is fine too. Comes down to whether you like a slightly smaller or slightly larger frame..

I am 5'10" with a 32" inside leg and have a S/M frame, i prefer the lower stand over height but a M would fit me the same. The M/L would be a bit too long in the TT, so at your size a M should work fine.
It´s about a more maneuverable shorter front center x a more stable longer front center. One can always dial fit w/ stem length but what will never change is the front center length. The snappy feeling from a small frame comes from short front centers.
I will always go w/ the brand/company/ builder advice on sizing.

Thanks for all the advice. Every day's a learning day and it's great to be able to post a question here and wait for the info to come in instead of wasting time googling :). I'm going to leave it this time but ill post a link to the Irish website on the marketplace watch on this forum. I dont know the seller but he has replied with a query I had.

Back