F.W. Evans ATB (1984) Milton Keynes

GrahamJohnWallace

Retrobike Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133913253532?hash=item1f2dda169c:g:qIwAAOSwQfFhdVL3

The 1984 F.W. Evans/Saracen ATB was the first US style mountain bike to be manufactured in the UK. The very first bikes were built with Reynolds' 501 All-Terrain tubing from May 1984. On the first of January the Crane Cousins rode up mount Kilimanjaro which gave rise to the next model the The 1985 F.W. Evans/Saracen Conquest.

This bike has 531 stickers, so is probably a second half of 1984 model. Most of the parts are match the original 1984, May specification. I live about 15miles from the seller, so could collect for someone if needed.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Apart from the extension-tube, the other non-original parts are:
*The rear derailleur. The original Suntour Mountech ones weren't very durable.
*The seatpost binder bolt.
*The tyres.
*The brake-blocks and some of the Bowden cables.
*Probably the rear mudguard?

Just looking at the specs for a 531 Saracen ATB in the December 1984 and edition of Bicycle Action Magazine and that is fitted with Shimano parts.
This bike is fitted with the same parts as ae May 84 bike. It is only the use of Reynolds 531 All-Terrain tubing that makes me think it was made some time later in 1984. All the early bikes I saw, Including the one I bought in May84, were made from 501.

Last edited:
Yes, he may be connected to one of the Milton Keynes bike shops.

Here is the correct rear-derailleur,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224735206560?hash=item3453431ca0:g:GIwAAOSwtjths9RA

I am surprised that any working versions survive as the one on my 1984, 501 Evans ATB only lasted for a very short time. I think the tension spring broke. Knowing me, I have probably kept it somewhere with all the other bits I removed from my 84 bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I am surprised that any working versions survive as the one on my 1984, 501 Evans ATB only lasted for a very short time. I think the tension spring broke. Knowing me, I have probably kept it somewhere with all the other bits I removed from my 84 bike.

Maybe the quality for just variable. I had one a few years ago in very good condition, but by the jockey wheels I would say it had seen plenty of miles. That one was working perfectly when I sold it on.

I have an F W Evans touring bike I bought a few years ago, it's now striped to frame and fork as I've used some of the components for other builds. The original components date it to 83 and it shares similar features to your frame, I've read that the frames may have been built by Nigel Dean..?

34592_zps2rcrzu12.jpg 34610_zpsg8dcp1ss.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133913253532?hash=item1f2dda169c:g:qIwAAOSwQfFhdVL3

The 1984 F.W. Evans/Saracen ATB was the first US style mountain bike to be manufactured in the UK. The very first bikes were built with Reynolds' 501 All-Terrain tubing from May 1984. On the first of January the Crane Cousins rode up mount Kilimanjaro which gave rise to the next model the The 1985 F.W. Evans/Saracen Conquest.

This bike has 531 stickers, so is probably a second half of 1984 model. Most of the parts are match the original 1984, May specification. I live about 15miles from the seller, so could collect for someone if needed.
Sorry to disappoint you there never was an FW Evans Saracen ATB
Saracen was my company yes we used to supply Gary Smith with 531 touring frames which he built into cycles
But never Conquest ATBs
Regards Brian Staples

Back