F.U.B.A.R or rideable ?

Dr.Robotnik":2xj3sutc said:
I have ridden many dented bmx's (just comes with the territory) and mountain bikes, you should be fine.

The key is to keep an eye on it and check it regularly as the dent can become a stress riser and crack.

However that is quite a small dent so I wouldn't worry unduly. The dent on the bike below is huge and took a month or so of hard riding to fully crack. Sorry for the bad pics.

Frameside.jpg

Crackeddowntube.jpg

Dented BMXs are indeed fine, ridden plenty but that's good old 4130 for you

As you say...key thing is to keep an eye on it

Broomhandle in your ruck and some duck tape may be useful for when it does let go lol

If its steel and the frames not misaligned then theres nowt wrong with that bike. Kaiser and I both rode dented framed bikes around Drumlanrig last Sunday without any problems and Kaisers bike was alloy !

My GT LTS has two dents, one from a crash and one from the bar hitting the toptube, both dents are there for a few years, no problems.

My Zaskar has had a dent in the downtube for 13 years and I've never worried about it or not ridden it hard.

Ride it, enjoy it.

Give the tube a flick with your finger, if it rings - it's fine, if it rattles - throw it, it's cracked. That's my opinion. :cool:

i've got dents a lot worse than that on the top tube of my Manitou and they dont really worry me, as it's a Manitou it was either going to be dented or cracked and i'd rather have dents :)

It'll be fine, the visible cracks will be the paint ;)

Latest posts

Back