Ex Police Diamondback Topanga 199x - Kinda Done :)

Waxman

Dirt Disciple
Ex Police.

Well back in 97' when the police used to sell off unclaimed/proceeds of slimeballs property on ebay, I picked up this Topanga for £70.

I went for Diamondback as in the mid 80's had a rather dishy cr-mo DB, skyways, TW bars etc etc. - Just liked the brand so bought the mtb

Condition I got it actually rather as you see it in these first pictures. Its battle scars and hard use came from its early days before me.

since then it's just been used as and when, spent the last 20 years stored in sheds and cellars.

So why give it tlc now ? - well why not. Still got good running gear, still a lightish weight frame and fits me well.

It still rides very well, smooth gearing all without incident

I say I'm going to give it tlc, well I'm going to clean up the frame, new cables,brakes,wheels and use it. - I'm guessing that when you touch a tyre sidewall and get dust on your finger, it's time to change the tyres :|

Oh frame is scratched to buggery with few rust spots so it's going to be rubbed down, primed then recieve a matt black coat of plasti-dip until I decide what I'm going to do with it. Never selling it so will just have a clean up, then continue to do its functional job. - Oh am on the look out for replacement same as avenir saddle - I'll throw a note in 'wanted' section.

Not sure what year this bike is, early 90's I think. Taiwan cro-moly MTP tubing and cro-mo forks.
quick spec is:

Shimano 200gs derailleur

Shimano ST-EF28 gearshifter

Shimano Biopace Triple Crankset

Shimano cantilever brakes with v brake levers

You can see how bad it is.

316vryr.jpg

339oeiw.jpg

jh585l.jpg

i6xxfn.jpg

2q151uh.jpg

degreaser working :)
2evx3k8.jpg

Beaten up and covered in paint nick marks - decals had it
2zjfl34.jpg

a17a0p.jpg

New tyres/tubes ordered
2j125nk.jpg

And don't shoot me just yet, but new alloy lightweight wheelset with new shimano cassette
29e8o7.jpg

More to come as I progress :)

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":3j83b9zm said:
Those wheels... Why oh why? :facepalm:

By the way im fairly sure this is a 1989 model

Sean

It is around that period, I went to my LBS in Exeter and it was a toss up between this bike and a Marin. I bought the Marin for no particular reason other than my mate bought a Marin and we thought matching bikes would be cool :facepalm:

Re:

Looking through the various models - I would agree this one is an 80's version - groupset on it is basic Shimano - 200gs RD and 300lx crankset. Thumbies are very old style - never seen them on another DB MTB of the era pic yet - But they work well so will stay. - Oh and while I remember to say - this is a 20" frame

Crankset works fine and runs true but the 200gs will be replaced as its a bit worn and looking sorry for itself. - Not sure what spec yet but suppose it can be anything decent that comes up.

New wheels are what they are, it's not and was never going to be an original resto - just something to clean up and bounce around with on the local trails/canal paths etc. - I will in the meantime get the original Wienmann rims restored through as they are still arrow straight with no spoke damage

anyway - managed to get hold of some rather minty BR-M200 wide angle canti's - same spec as originally fitted but ones on mine have seen way better days. - Never had a problem with these style of brakes on my riding style so didn't feel the need to upgrade them any. (the blocks are as supplied - I may change these over)

o92wdl.jpg

:D

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1gklaxku said:
Good stuff. :cool:

200gs and 300lx point to 1990/1 though as they were not available before that.

Thank you :)

Crankset off - checked BB, nice and quiet, spins freely enough - probably not going to remove it.

Ringset mucky as hell - this is a toothbrush/degreaser jobby :(

imtcu1.jpg

Will clean all up pedals and autosol crankarms. - Should come out alright......

Re: Ex Police Diamondback Topanga 199x - Clean up - Re-use

nice frames these , ride very well

Re:

Oh my :shock:

Stumbled across these for peanuts. - Need TLC - rainy days project.

What a sexy bit of kit.

2djc6c8.jpg

Re:

Well Kinda done.

Was never going to be a oem resto, just a clean up, re-use just for me.

Ended up doing more than I realised tbh

New:
Headset
Chainset
Complete cables all round.
Brakes (v's up front, canti's up back)
KMC Chain
Rims
Tyre
Gel Seat
Bottom Bracket
NOS STX Rear Derailleur (kept existing Exage Front)
Pace RC35 MX Carbons, complete overhaul with brand new Pace elastomers and steerer

Chainset is just to get it moving but I am on the lookout for a nice STX 48/38/28

I have new decals so will be a gentle strip down of existing, clean the frame and new stickers. - Have decided against a re-paint as overall prefer the patina.

It's marmite and some will hate it or parts, but I like it and will enjoy it :)

2ztja6g.jpg

Back