Eh? my power tools keep breaking!

My_Teenage_Self":3j8elryj said:
238v everywhere.

How are checking the voltage? It needs to be under load, if nothing is connected to the socket other than the meter it will act as an ammeter [not a voltmeter] and give you a false reading. This can give you all sorts of dud information depending on the make of meter and the range it is set to.

Sorry if you already know this.

Edit How about trying a power surge limiter in line with the tool?

shedobits":35gd3pkf said:
My_Teenage_Self":35gd3pkf said:
238v everywhere.

How are checking the voltage? It needs to be under load, if nothing is connected to the socket other than the meter it will act as an ammeter [not a voltmeter] and give you a false reading. This can give you all sorts of dud information depending on the make of meter and the range it is set to.

Sorry if you already know this.

Didn't know that!! It's a fluke meter, so I trust it, but will try it under load.

What I find strange is that we haven't had any other problems, including some other high power equipment (welder etc).

How much use has each tool had?

Could just be coincidence, some tools even big branded ones arent that grwat.

For exame hac the same with a ryobi strimmer on its second use, ok so the first use wad about 5 years before and it was stored in a damp garahe wheres a black n decker grinder bought in the late 80s that has seen a lot of use is still going strong.

I got through four angle grinders in a week once, just cheap ones burning out.
Fifth one was a £80 Hitachi and it's been fine.

shedobits":3njoag97 said:
It needs to be under load, if nothing is connected to the socket other than the meter it will act as an ammeter [not a voltmeter] and give you a false reading.

False.

No. The voltmeter ameter part is not correct.

Re load, that may be the case if you have your very own power station but there will be tens if not hundreds of households connected to the same wires so it is highly unlikely that your drill is the only load.

For sensitive electrical equipment eg computers, tv then a mains filter/conitioner would be advisable and it may help with electrical motors but i doubt it.

Re:

The point that I am making is that your meter [in the OP' case a very well respected make] will give you a false reading with no load applied. It will confirm the presence [or absence] of power only.

In case I'm out of touch these days I've just connected my Beckman meter across the mains here, then plugged in a table lamp and got a different reading.

None of this helps the OP though as I feel it may be possible that spikes in the supply could be the trouble. Checking with a digital meter won't find this but a quick look at Maplins site / catalogue should identify something that could smooth out any spikes.

Spikes can easily take out power semis like triacs but it's unlikely to affect heavy electrical stuff. I suspect its simply bad luck, although damp is also a possibility.

Dint knock it, i found a cut down M4 for the lights in the living room.

Switched the main power off and found 3 or 4 more.

Thankfully it was only add he was too tight/lazy/daft to buy new fuses.

The entire house randomly wired in only 2 colours was more if a concern. I bought a circuit tester less than 36 hours after moving in. And spent a lot of time using it.

Back