Educating Peachy - Tubeless tyres & rims

Re: Re:

Moqi":1vqp2dtk said:
those ust tyres can be complete bastards to fit. I had some a few years ago. I heated them in the oven, stretched them like mad - at one point hanging from the edge of a door with me standing in the tyre.

Still couldn't get them on so sold them on. Ritchey ones i believe Never again. I've got some Schwalbe g ones on my road bike and they are a doddle to fit .

Yes, definitely not bothering with them....

Thinking back to it, it's probably impossible to stretch the bead whether wired or carbon folder. If you could the tyre would probably fall of the rim. Stick them on ebay - there will be someone either ignorant of the problems or the arms like a gorilla who can force them on.

So... Schwalbe Racing Ralph “Tubeless ready” (I’m presuming that’s what the TLR printed on the sides stands for) are exactly the fuc*ing same bead as the the UST Schwalbe Jimmy’s !!!!!! :facepalm:

Can anyone recommend a narrow-ish tyre (1:95 - 2:10) that will fit a set of 26” Stans?

Actual experience fitting please... ;)

I've not had experience of stans rims but i have with bontrager tubeless rims which have a separate inner slot which makes tyres incredibly difficult to seat properly unless you pump them up to 80-100 psi even with tubes. they'd suddenly seat with a bang. For a while i used normal folding nobby nics(with lots of sealant), but found that they'd occasionally just pop off - usually when sitting in my hall covering the walls with sealant (but strangely not when riding them)i eventually reverted to tubes because they were so much of a pain. The only tyres that i have successfully run tubeless are the schwalbe g ones on my road bike which were fitted by hunt on the wheels i bought from them. I've had reason to take the rear off to put an internal patch on a big hole and they went back on dead easy. I could fit tubeless to my mtb but i think they are a pain. I don't think it helps that tyres seem to not be consistent in actual sizing - i've had tyres of the same size but they have been tighter than a ducks arse and other tyres the same size which were difficult to fit because they were oversized and became almost impossible to stay on the rim when fitting them. If hunt made 26" wheels I'd suggest buying a pair of them with the tyres already fitted. Otherwise use lots and lots of soapy water to get the tyres on the rim and brute force and ignorance. I wish you the best of luck. Theres a reason that i havent converted the tyres on my gravel bike to tubeless even though they say they are tlc (tubless compatible) despite having plenty of sealant, the valves and an airshot. Sometimes lifes to short.

Right now I’m not so much concerned about seating them or even burping. I really just can’t get them on!

So, unless someone knows of a tubeless tyre that fits 26” Stans I’m going to drop the tubeless idea for a while. I don’t mind putting my hand in my pocket, but to go through the hassle of buying & changing rims when I’ve got a plentiful stock of descent 26” boots hanging up seems silly. I’ll pop into Halfords on the way home for some tubes as this build has been stalled for too long now.

Re:

Are you sure the rims aren’t 27.5?

I’ve had lots of tubeless tyres inc Ralph’s and yes they can be tighter than a retro tyre but never had to give up.

I've got a couple of sets of ralphs and rons on 26" stans rims (at least one set is TLR, not sure about the others)
As long as they aren't the steel bead ones, they're just tight but not that bad really. (Can you even get steel beaded???)
Certainly no tyre levers needed.
What have you got for rim tape?

Re:

Sometimes lifes to short.
See, this is what happens with spelling and grammar slackness.
You intend to bewail the harried, hurried and transitory nature of existence, but instead end up portraying yourself as a murderer, and an un-grammatical one at that! :)

Re: Re:

d8mok":337bhzxg said:
Are you sure the rims aren’t 27.5?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• 67277880-2CB7-4D2B-9878-D9EAB1A766AB.jpeg
    67277880-2CB7-4D2B-9878-D9EAB1A766AB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2,298
Back