Educate me on U Brakes

Re:

Wow that's one hell of a collection :cool: ...just looking at options for U brake weld on mounts....

Rollercam brakes made by Charlie Cunningham are on a different level than all u brakes including suntour rollercam: they are the best rim brakes ever made.
They are also on a different price point level. Very different.

Sounds like the OP is up for trying things out. Let’s not put them off by pretending that some retro brakes are massively different performers than others: it’s mostly down to feel. Set up, levers, pads, cleanliness all have a big impact on stopping power.

& Mud will clog all brakes, and other components. it’s just a question of how much mud you like to ride through.

Even though rollercams use the same stud position and pivoting mechanism, they’re different to ubrakes and deserve their own thread. Great progressive feel.

The real point is that U brakes are way retro. (Raidan’s collection is v. cool). They are mighty, feel good, and if positioned below the chainstay, allow super clean seat stay lines.

Get a frame that is suitable and play around.

Re:

Mud clearance is not going to be a problem as it's going to be a commuter bike. For what I have in mind U brakes and roller cams will look great and I am keen to have some in my stable even though they may have quirks .

doctor-bond":1nrsnthk said:
...by pretending that some retro brakes are massively different performers than others: it’s mostly down to feel. Set up, levers, pads, cleanliness all have a big impact on stopping power.

The reason behind Ubrakes is to place the pivot in a different location so that flex in the stays won´t rob power and modulation when braking.
Cunningham brakes are highly sophisticated around cams taht produce controled leverage. HIghly adjustable as well.
Suntour rollercams spun off Cunninghmas but something got lost in translation because thet are nowhere near as good. Cunningham brakes are much better than anything but discs. They are different no matter how hard one tries to set up other rim brakes. Also priced different.

I won´t tell anyone to buy Cunninghams since they are hard to find and very very expensive. Not only that but usually they go on frames built to have Cunninghams.

Re:

I think the point is about coolness over performance. Cunninghams are OG and undoubtedly coolest, but their difference in performance vs other ancient rim brakes is in the noise: we’re talking old blokes going down easy trails at modest speeds not racers shaving 10/ths of seconds off lap times.

And as you point out, the cost and rarity means that they usually end up on bikes that don’t get ridden, or at least not very often, and not very fast.

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":23g9rx6u said:
I think the point is about coolness over performance. Cunninghams are OG and undoubtedly coolest, but their difference in performance vs other ancient rim brakes is in the noise: we’re talking old blokes going down easy trails at modest speeds not racers shaving 10/ths of seconds off lap times.

And as you point out, the cost and rarity means that they usually end up on bikes that don’t get ridden, or at least not very often, and not very fast.

Sorry but it´s neither old blokes going easy neither coolness or bling. Fast riding over hard trails did not start last year or 5yrs ago.
Again: don´t go looking for cunningham brakes just to try something new. Discs are better if you must have the best breaking out there but when it comes to rim brakes, cunningham rollercams are noticeably superior in modulation and power.

Not forgetting, of course, unless you're dead set on an authentic retro set, that pimp-ass U brakes are still very much available from your friendly local BMX dealership (despite the brakeless trend) :cool:

eclat-the-unit-bmx-u-brake-gd.jpg

I have a NOS, still-in-the-box shiny, Deore XT (M-733) U-II u-brake stashed away, waiting for the right moment ...

Back