ebay issue. what would you do?

fjpshaw":3tu4n0jy said:
suburbanreuben":3tu4n0jy said:
A dispute will not lead to a quick resolution. Ebay now give you 15 days to reach an amicable solution (whether you need 15 days or not) before acting themselves.
It could also inflame matters.
Tricky...
15 days more than the seller needs to issue a refund. The open dispute may at least give him the nudge he needs to do the right thing though. Shouldn't need eBay to get involved, but I'm sure the buyer doesn't want to be in this same situation in 15 days time and not have the option of enlisting ebay's help.
How long does the re-listed auction have to run? It could well be that he's spent the money already so cannot actually repay the buyer until the auction has finished, no matter how intent he is on "doing the decent thing".
A little patience might be wise, as well as asking him what his intentions are re the re-listing. If you open a dispute he may well decide you can wait for your money...
It might be wise to wait until the auction has finished.
Having said that, I probably wouldn't...

Why is it wise to wait... EBay will see seller has the bike for sale and refund the money. It's an easy case especially as there will be the messages between you both. I gaurentees you'll get the money. It what eBay are paid to do and why there us their guarantee.

FluffyChicken":3nr0a6qc said:
Why is it wise to wait... EBay will see seller has the bike for sale and refund the money. It's an easy case especially as there will be the messages between you both. I gaurentees you'll get the money. It what eBay are paid to do and why there us their guarantee.
Have you opened an Ebay dispute in the last 6 months?

FluffyChicken":gz0piyw6 said:

Indeed - which is why, these days, sellers have most to lose.

In most circumstances, the buyer is always going to get his / her money back, sellers diddling around on the buyers money, when they should have refunded straightaway, court negative feedback. If not delivering on the auction wasn't enough, relisting and not refunded would almost certainly.

As always, though, communication is the key. If a seller told me there was a problem, I'd probably still open the dispute thing to cover myself - but being open and honest with me, assuming it all got resolved, I'd probably not neg somebody. But messing somebody around over a refund isn't on - it's simply not their money - either that, or the goods aren't until the refund is complete.

Thanks for the responses guys, they generally seem to coincide with my own feelings.
I think that the new sales are BIN's so I guess the seller has spent my money already, as has been said, and is hoping to make it back quickly?.
Interestingly the parts and frame have been listed with prices that add up to considerably more than I paid for the whole bike (who'd have guessed!).
I'm also glad that a couple of you agree with me in thinking that these parts are actually mine, so I guess if I mentioned this to ebay it'd strengthen my case.
I think another message to the seller is in order to get some clarification on what a 'couple' of days means.

Cheers Matt

All this outrage and huffing and puffing is all very well, but has anyone actually opened an Ebay dispute recently? They ain't what they were! The fact is that Ebay will not actually have someone sit down and look at your case until 15 days from the auction end have elapsed. Until then you are reliant on the seller seeing sense.
It is also possible for the seller to mark a "refund issued" without actually doing so, but as far as Ebay are concerned the matter is closed. Then you have to start again with Paypal...
Think 3 or 4 weeks to get your money back this way.
Less haste- more speed!

This is quite simple - you open the dispute: as item not received, state that the seller has relisted the item and request a refund. eBay / PayPal then apply a hold to the sellers PayPal account for the original transaction amount. The buyer gets his time to respond and if he hasn't refunded you by the deadline - eBay / PayPal refund you automatically (whether the seller has the funds to cover the amount or not) and recover the money from the sellers payment sources needed to hold a seller account.

As mentioned before the seller will always have to pay regardless of who is at fault! They can then take up their own case with eBay and file a complaint if they feel the buyer is at fault, though naturally you can only do this once the original dispute has been settled. Buyer always win regardless!

Raise the dispute with Paypal. They are the same company as Ebay, but have much more clout and are more business like. They don't like sellers like the one you are dealing with and have the power to ban them from Ebay.

suburbanreuben":llql2wqe said:
All this outrage and huffing and puffing is all very well, but has anyone actually opened an Ebay dispute recently? They ain't what they were! The fact is that Ebay will not actually have someone sit down and look at your case until 15 days from the auction end have elapsed. Until then you are reliant on the seller seeing sense.
It is also possible for the seller to mark a "refund issued" without actually doing so, but as far as Ebay are concerned the matter is closed. Then you have to start again with Paypal...
Think 3 or 4 weeks to get your money back this way.
Less haste- more speed!

I've opened a couple of disputes in the past 6 months. And in both cases, I didn't have to wait the 15 days for it to be solved.

In one of the cases (perhaps both...) I probably didn't intend actually opening up a dispute, off the bat - but the various reasons you can instigate contact kinda force you down a different route.

In my experience, it focuses the mind of the person you're dealing with. As a low volume seller, he / she may not bother whether you'd buy from them again - but also, as a low-volume seller, most would be savvy enough to realise that bad feedback can take a while to recover from - especially if they don't have a lot of feedback at present.

Latest posts

Back