Early to mid 90ies alternatives to M900

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I was wondering what alternatives there are to XTR M900 ?
Prices are sky rocketing and thus I was wondering about alternatives of around the same age and quality durability which would potentially be more affordable but not lack on quality
7 8 or 9 speed.

Did Sachs have anything from early to mid 90ies? Or comparable ?
I am familiar with Sachs Quarz but Anything pre ‘96?

Re:

suntour xc pro was the rival to m900 bitd. Great stuff, probably as expensive though. Hubs are great, shifters (thumbies) lovely and in 7, 8 or 7/8 speed.

Hubs require a specific suntour cassette and there are a few variations which make buying tricky unless you do your research first.

Chsinset was available in standard 110 or microdrive, bbs also great and can be greased through holes in the bolts (grease guard). Hubs also had grease ports as do the pedals and headsets.

I think m900 looks good. But I found the shifting/shifters a let down, feels flimsy and clunky at the sane time IMHO.

I'd look at 97 gear such as xt m737 (or m739 for v brakes) or xtr m950/2 as functionally way better, again IMHO.

Thanks - I did have XC Pro hubs mechs and shifters on my dynatech MT4 And was so very impressed.
I’ve just bought a Dynatech Decade Frame/forks Seatpost bars from Caramba Kid - and I guess M900 would be the go to for that - I’m going to be spending a few bob on the cranks (got to be Cook Bros of some sort) didn’t want to skimp on the mechs but if I could save a few bob then that’ll be good -

Any idea about the Sachs ?

Re:

I think sachs were a good but underrated option, it spawned sram so can't be bad I suppose.

There's always campag and mavic mtb stuff. Never had the pleasure myself.

Re:

Nothing really, Sachs was nowhere, Campag had left the building with MTB stuff

Just Suntour to compete and XC Pro was an XT level until XTR had come along, at which point Suntour left then holding s few years later to hound the budget/middle area under another setup.

yes the XTR RF+ shifters at pants, go gripshift for your alternative like many people did. You may or may not like them, I loved them when I switched and still use today.

SRT600 or 500-R depending on the year (stick metal spring in the 500 if you do).

Lever, nothing really beats an m900 canti and lever setup, but the later XT & DX brake levers are good too.

Suntours are not as good, even if the 93 champagne setup looks good.

XC Pro 8 speed microdrive is the only other alternative, I'd still put gripshift with them as their triggers are pants and thumbies are shite to, (unless that's what you like, then they are the best thumbies)

BUT if you are just wanting alternatives and not quality in use, then have a look around.

Thanks for the advice - for late 90ies the Sachs Quartz with power grip extreme would be an option - I’ve had the Quarz before and the quality of the mechs was right up there - the finish And build were excellent - used with a pair of Grip Shift (Sachs design) Plasma shifters. But looking at things, a nice set Probably costs More than a minty XTR M900 -

I’ve decided to go for M900 F and R
M008 shifters and For something exotic in regards brakes - Paul Components!
Now let’s see how it goes !
Wheels - let’s see, either Hope or M900

Attachments

• A983EB4A-36A0-4357-ADE4-C91BF07FE870.jpeg
    A983EB4A-36A0-4357-ADE4-C91BF07FE870.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 577
Back