Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Hi, just came across this thread..

Back in 1990 i had three bikes, two of which where american top enders, But the one i used more often was my 1990 saracen trekker.
Bought as a frame set, then built using shimano xt, mavic 231cd rims and a custom made salsa pro moto stem..
Also fitted to this bike was a set of the very first gripshift, the ones with gripshift printed on grip tape, Not to every ones taste, But worked perfectly.
Although it did get a lot of off road use, it was more for work and touring, hence the comfy seat that came off my old 87 muddy fox courier.
I wish i still had this bike, i sold it in 92. the new owner later replaced the forks with pace rc30's,
I personally preferred the original forks with that very powerful u-brake up front, ideal for the weight i used to carry.

1990 saracen trekker by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Nice day for a cycle, so dusted of the Zaskar, only to get a threaded peddle.

So plan b was the first real ride of the trekker, wow what a nice ride and it handled the rough stuff superbly.

Great looking Trekker dw_uk2000 and really nice location now i am jealous as i miss my old Trekker loads as it was always an enjoyable ride out on the trails lol ..

Re:

any suggestions as to what flavour Saracen I've bought would be welcome

I'm guessing mid 90's, but can't figure it out from the catalogues in the archive or the bb stamp

It's got Ritchey rear dropouts with straight stays (the black is the my poor lighting on the photo, but there was/is something like 10yrs. of ingrained tar like dirt present, most of which I've managed to scrub off), purple lettering on the headbadge, the Tange label says double butted tubing

I'd like to say I've got parts to karma out, but it looks like junk apart from a USE seatpost (what I guess are original components are Deore LX, the cranks came off without needing to use a tool :shock: )

14292453455_b201c7a382_m.jpg

14289115051_9274dde583_m.jpg

14117585547_cedc587582_m.jpg

14312623243_2db561ff19_m.jpg

14292061904_2ea87dd9c1_m.jpg

Re:

Looks like a 1994 model, would have said the Traverse going on the head tube decal and colour, but may be a Kili Flyer.

Back