Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Dossa":1veaykow said:
Timewarp condition........... :cool:

Sure you can't be tempted to sell the FJN's and Zefal cage, though.... :?:

:D

Haha.. everything has a price! Depends what you're offering is enough.. :LOL:

I've not been on here for ages, as I put a haunt to my retro habit after losing my job but now I'm working again and getting itchy fingers!!!

Anyway.....think I posted this on here before but can't remember...my 1990 Saracen Tufftrax which I rebuilt with full Deore lx kit and added deore thumbies and brake levers.The frame was bought new from Saracen in the 90's by my mate who built up his own spec bike but then lost interest years later and stripped the bike and the frame was left in the shed until I got it:)

A virtually unused carrera Katmandu donated most of its components including the set of new FJN's and the saddle which although horrid is pretty much the same as the original.

SNB12406.jpg

81032f0a.jpg

As some of you know from this thread, my dad and uncle used to own Saracen cycles and as a result I've always had a passion for the early UK mountain bikes, and have six mid 80s Saracen Conquests...

Because of this, and the early inspiration from the Cranes' trip up Kilimanjaro and hearing them talking about it when they came back, I've decided to launch a bike based on the early British ATB/expedition bikes - as those who have one will know that the geometry is great, they're super tough and versatile bikes, hence so many are still going strong today.

It launches in three weeks and just wanted to let fellow retrobikers know about it first, as this site and threads such as this have been a big part of fuelling my passion.

Thanks a lot

Hi Coomber, I'll have the website ready in two weeks I hope...

The frame is going be Reynolds 631 following in the footsteps of the 531 widely used on the higher end UK 80s ATBs. I wanted to make sure the bike is handbuilt in the UK so will be built in Coventry and will be a lugged frame and forks.

It will have canti brakes, it'll be powder coated, bosses for three bottle cages, rear rack and low rider at the front, rigida Sputnik rims, sturmey archer thumb shifters, Brooks B17 saddle. I want to make sure that the bike is also good for city cycling so also going to have a nitto quill riser stem for the more upright position if need be. I'm still negotiating on components so not sure what the final spec or retail price will be.

I'm really enjoying the project.

Cheers,

Simon

stanny":x2d5xrp5 said:
Hi Coomber, I'll have the website ready in two weeks I hope...

The frame is going be Reynolds 631 following in the footsteps of the 531 widely used on the higher end UK 80s ATBs. I wanted to make sure the bike is handbuilt in the UK so will be built in Coventry and will be a lugged frame and forks.

It will have canti brakes, it'll be powder coated, bosses for three bottle cages, rear rack and low rider at the front, rigida Sputnik rims, sturmey archer thumb shifters, Brooks B17 saddle. I want to make sure that the bike is also good for city cycling so also going to have a nitto quill riser stem for the more upright position if need be. I'm still negotiating on components so not sure what the final spec or retail price will be.

I'm really enjoying the project.

Cheers,

Simon

Hot damn!

Best of luck

My Saracens
Got the blue eiger one off jimbog swapped shifters to dx thumbies
Got the pink tufftrax one off eBay last night just need to swap the saddle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 311