Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Re Uncle Jacks question re Cranes bikes

Probably not a definitive answer - From the limited archives held at Warwick University the brochure for January 1985 shows there top of the range ATB as a 501. All the parts appear identical to the Conquest other than using 501. I bought my Conquest in summer 1985 which by then was using 531. Ironically, I bought mine believing that the Cranes had used Conquests!

yup, i think most people think that. i did till i got mine and revisited the book.ave you still got it? your only down the road from me.

Unfortunately, the only parts of the brochure I have are posted here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=825
which appear to show the only bikes Saracen made in January 1995 However, I do recall (when I bought mine in summer 1985) that the catalogue included a far bigger range with 2 versions of the Conquest - one of which (slightly cheaper) had 531 tubing with Sun Tour / Dia Compe equipment as opposed to XT.

Can add my newly (well my dad has had it since 1992) acquired 1987 Kili Flyer.

In a sorry state

DSCF0457.jpg

but will be turned into this

saracen2_132.jpg

Carl.

Well it's now in bits, seatpost free and ready to be stripped. I'm collecting the required parts first. So far I have found 2 set of replacement MT-60 Cantis and a Chainset with biopace rings. I still need a front and rear mech and then the real work can start.
I can't tell you much about it before 1991 when we got it from a friend at college for about £70, it was already in the vomit purple then but we were told it was a highend Saracen missing a few bits (rear mech and no seat and post) so we replaced the seat, post and mech and it was used a couple of times and then stored (as it was really too big for my old man), first in the shed at our first house, then garage, then finally it's been outside in a lean to for the past 5 years. Been really keen to rescue it since i've been on here but when I delivered my Dad his new Giant (a Retro '96 ish Escaper Expert in the right size and with judy's) for Xmas he asked if I wanted it. So now it's mine.
Going to take my time and get the frame, fork and stem powdercoated in the correct Electric Blue and the decals reproduced and get some good condition MT-60 parts. I will ride it when done but take it easy as it my oldest and bike by some margin, but maybe not the rarest.

Carl.

quick saracen question, whats the seatpost size on my 96 kili comp? 26.8 or 26.4? i had to "polish" my post years ago so the numbers are not too clear. will post new pics asap and when the new un is complete ;)

I'm sure it's 26.4, but then again I have been know to be wrong before :oops:

So while I'm at it I'll post a pic of my 'Saracen' Kili Wot on here instead...

P1160172_edit-1.jpg

...thus posting my two favourite bikes on the same page :D

Back