Early GT Zaskar - Old girl needs a good polishing & some TLC

abr303

Retro Guru
Hi,
I've just got hold of an early GT Zaskar but the it's going to need a lot of love.... Many moons ago I'd hankered after one so Im very keen to get this up and running in time and when funds allow. The previous owner had owned it for the last 17 years and it was second hand then. Not taken any images yet but is equipped with 7 speed XT, gripshift shifters, rear U-brake and some old Pace R35 forks.

So a couple of things: What info can I get from the stamped frame number on the dropout... will it give any inkling as to when it was made?

Also can anyone give me some pointers on getting the polished finish back to it's former glory... I'm pretty competent on the bike mechanics side and looking to fully restore and ride this lovely steed :D

Cheers in advance guys n gals :cool:

Sounds like you've got a nice project there.

The frame numbers should tell you the month and year, eg 0892#### would be August 1992. However that wouldn't neccesarily mean it was a 92 model as it may have been built and sold in 93 (if that makes sense?).

Plenty of elbow grease with some Autosol works wonders. You can wax afterwards to reduce the frame tarnishing.

Here's a link to my build so you can see what can be achieved: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=356927

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

cheers
Chris

Factory Jackson":275wumli said:
Sounds like you've got a nice project there.

The frame numbers should tell you the month and year, eg 0892#### would be August 1992. However that wouldn't neccesarily mean it was a 92 model as it may have been built and sold in 93 (if that makes sense?).

Plenty of elbow grease with some Autosol works wonders. You can wax afterwards to reduce the frame tarnishing.

Here's a link to my build so you can see what can be achieved: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=356927

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, Cheers for that, your build is a total transformation! :cool: I'll get some pictures up soon but she's looking very tired. Really looking forward to getting on with this but I'll need to strip and check all the welds etc. first before I get carried away but at least the original seatpost came out with no real issues :)

my 96 frame was dull and scratched. I got a generic metal polishing kit from ebay for about £20 IIRC with grades of compound and polishing wheels. A few hours in the shed with the cordless drill working through the compounds and it came up a treat. There may be some piccies in the zaskar build in my sig. Next step is (still) final spit and polish then decals and a wax. Got some poorboys rim wax which should do the trick nicely.

tip, if you have a bench with a vice thats dead handy, gently grip the seatpost and you can swivel the frame around easy enough to polish.

loads of info on the net if you look on youtube you will find all sorts of instructional demos.

I have a quick question on this too. My 95 Zaskar LE has the original decals on it and they are about a 9/10 in condition. It would be a shame to remove them to polish the frame. Have any of you polished over your decals? Should I try to polish around them. Any suggestions are welcome.

Re:

Try some good old fashioned brasso wadding if you can find some
That way you can polish right up to the edge of your decals with no worries

The results are very good as it's quite a powerful but gentle polish so will not scratch

Re:

As above. Brasso and a cloth or so.e peek or equivalent metal polish brings my team RTS to a lovely shine. Just be careful around the decals as the polish is slightly abrasive so over time you can damage them. A bit of masking tape can help too.

Give it a coat of car wax afterwards and it will last longer.

Back