Early 90's Claud Butler Oracle 200GS

MarkR2015

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have an early 90's (91/92) Sky Blue Claud Butler Oracle 200GS in near mint condition. Never been used off tarmac or in the wet, and last year had new brakes, all new cables, re-greased, new tyres (Scwalbe Marathon) and tubes - all done by local bike shop.

Bike is immaculate, no rust and very shiny etc, but after about 40 miles, decided I wanted a road bike, so now have one of those.

Time for the Claud Butler to go, but no idea how much it is worth?

Watched ebay for a couple of weeks, seen a few £80-£120, but they were real mingers by comparison - as mine could almost go as new.

Thanks for any help
Mark

Re: Thought some pics might help get a valuation

Here are some pics taken today that show the colour and condition. Bike is all original, no paint or new decals etc, only change is tyres. Pedals were removed for storage, but can be reattached, and are mint too.

It has done less than 100 miles in its entire life.

Any views on value?

Thanks

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,219
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,212
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,217
Re:

As tidy as it is I don't expect you'd get more then the values you state above. It's in lovely condition but is a basic model with basic parts.

IMO your best bet would be to ebay it and hope a couple of people bid that had one BITD so are happy to pay more.

Re:

As brocklanders says, unfortunately it is a bottom of the range model with low end parts. It would have retailed for under £200 when new.
If you found the right buyer you might get £80-£100 for it, but sadly low end bikes aren't really that desirable.

Re:

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated - however a tad over £500 Retail when new - I purchased as a prior year model (still brand new) and paid £380 to a LBS in Leamington Spa.

Cheers
Mark.

Re:

£500 rrp for a 200gs equiped bike! :shock: My make bought a 1990 Marin Palisades at full rrp for £360. That came with 300lx. Think £500 got you a Deore lx equiped Marin Eldridge!

No wonder you don't see many about.

Yes, that's far too expensive. I remember buying my Saracen Sahara with 200GS brand new for just under 300 notes (and that was full RRP) - and Claud Butlers and low end ones at that generally aren't as desirable now as the likes of Kona, Marin, Specialized etc.

I reckon this is worth around £50. Maybe up to £100 on a good day. Unfortunately, we are no longer in lockdown when people would pay almost anything to get a bike.

That’s the 1990 version. And yes as already mentioned, low end 501 tubed paper round bike. If absolutely mint I’d say it’s worth about £150 absolute tops to someone who once had one and wanted a trip down memory lane.
The 1991 catalogue I’ve got has the next years model marked down at £289. £500+ would get you a Cape Wrath

187129F8-6D7C-4BAC-ABC8-921DC27FF73A.jpeg

I’ve just realised I’ve been suckered into commenting on a post from 7 years ago! 🤦‍♂️

Back