Dump find of the Month! 1975 Dave Moulton Track Bike...

Re: Re:

torqueless":1ydhkdh6 said:
The Dave Moulton, on the other hand is a short 37 1/4" wheelbase and has a very steel seat tube angle bringing the rider's weight forward.

I distinctly remember an issue of 'the comic', almost certainly 1975, or '76, in which there was a article/interview with Dave Moulton, more or less about the subject of frame geometry for female/diminutive riders. His solution, which I guess at the time was novel enough to merit such an article/interview in the first place, was to steepen the seat tube angle beyond what was then customary to achieve a shorter top tube. IIRC this bike could easily be the one featured in that article.
How interesting - I wonder if anyone has a copy of the magazine - was 'The Comic' it's actual name? Thanks for that!

Re:

If you don't know then I probably shouldn't be telling you, but 'The comic' is (was?) affectionate slang for 'Cycling'. At that time a weekly black'n'white newsprint mag, no colours- not even on the cover. :)

Yeah some hoarder reading this has got that issue somewhere in a stack in their attic. TBH I remember not because of prodigious memory skills, but because my little season of investing in 'the comic' was probably quite short compared to many- basically '75-'76.

That bike looks time-warp... possibly not touched since '75?

So glad you rescued this. This is Dave Moulton. I still have my original frame numbers record book for frames built in the UK, email me with the frame number davesbikeblog[AT]gmail.com BTW I left California in 1994, I now live in South Carolina.
An article I wrote in Cycling 1976 was mentioned earlier. Here is a link to a PDF copy of that article: http://www.davemoultonregistry.com/pdf/ ... _Nov76.pdf
Dave.

Re:

How lucky is the OP?
1) Finds complete high-quality mid-seventies track iron at the dump.
2) Passing poster on internet forum mentions half-remembered article written by frame-builder about 38 years ago in a long-running weekly periodical, and implies the needle-in-haystack odds of said article resurfacing.
3) Next day, said frame-builder turns up on thread, personally thanks OP for saving frame, and also has link to article.

:?:........................ :facepalm: :)

dave moulton":x3p92q61 said:
So glad you rescued this. This is Dave Moulton. I still have my original frame numbers record book for frames built in the UK, email me with the frame number davesbikeblog[AT]gmail.com BTW I left California in 1994, I now live in South Carolina.
An article I wrote in Cycling 1976 was mentioned earlier. Here is a link to a PDF copy of that article: http://www.davemoultonregistry.com/pdf/ ... _Nov76.pdf
Dave.
Hi Dave,
So good to hear from you on here and many thanks for posting the link to the article - very informative and yes, the bike featured looks uncannily similar to my bike. I would be very interested to hear of any more info you can give me - original owner etc... and, actually I have already emailed you the details etc to the above mentioned email address linked from your registry site.
Let me know of you didn't get them for some reason...
Cheers,
Martin.

Re:

Martin,
The thought occurred to me that this might be the same bike mentioned in the article. But I don't want to jump to conclusions. I didn't get your email yet, so if you could send it again I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Dave

Welcome Dave :)

As a Time Trialler in the 70's and a reader of the "comic" I remember the article,

"Cycling" used to do various interviews and cover such things as "brakes", they even interviewed Pongo (Aende) which seemed a bit of a coup as he never advertised as it attracted the tax people LOL

Colour front pages arrived in 1978 IIRC

Nice place to end up, I worked at UNC at Chappel Hill and loved the whole coastal area (apart from Myrtle Beach), twinge of jealousy me thinks

Shaun

Back