DT Hugi Swiss Made Hubs

One of my favourites! Do look out for cracked hub flanges though. Was/is an issue. Also, ratchets wear. Easy to freshen up though !

I have nothing but praise for my various Hugi and 240 hubs. Always worked well and were simple and reliable.

Really useful thread for me to check model variations.

I also found this on another website:

Swiss inventor William Hügi developed an alternative ratchet design during the early ‘90s where he abandoned the common pawl system in favour of two spring-loaded ratchet rings. Teeth were cut into the opposing faces of each ring to create an axial (rather than radial) drive mechanism for the hub. Importantly, every tooth of the ratchet is engaged when the wheel is being driven, which is quite distinct from a standard ratchet.

The first Hügi compact hubs came from Switzerland. With increasing demand Hügi outsourced the production to the German company Union Fröndenberg. (History of Union Fröndenberg : https://www.marwi-eu.com/history.php )

In 1995 Hügi was bought by DT Swiss and the production went back to Switzerland.

Hügi’s star ratchet system was first adopted by DT Swiss in 1995 and soon after, the two companies merged. The patented mechanism has been a hallmark of DT’s high end hubs ever since, though other companies, such as Bontrager, Giant, and Roval have licensed the design.

Last edited:
As best I can make out, the difference between the 1995 & 1998 models as per the manual. The change in design I guess allowed the 98 to also then have a disc brake version of the same hub.

Can someone help agree or correct me and I’ll edit the comment as appropriate?

1994 model variants:
(rear says made in Germany, they also made fronts in Germany)
F3356B34-124F-4E5C-800D-8AB217B262F8.jpeg
25FBE769-1B47-4FE4-84B6-4AF0F5BBD4CD.jpeg

1995 model variants:
940F7640-3C39-4B60-BF89-ED0314DE8345.png

1998 model version:
564896F3-9317-4C50-9B35-6B8BCB721E21.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what year they rebranded the logo ‘DT Swiss’ instead of ‘DT Hugi Swiss made’ ?

I grabbed a bike out of the transfer station pile that had a pair of wheels with DT Hugi hubs. Yes, they are nice and loud. I also rescued a set of Raceface turbine cranks off that bike.

Hi folks, I've managed to get my hands on some DT Hügi hubs paired with Bontrages Mustang rims, following the threads it looks like they are '98.

Does anyone know how to disassemble them for maintenance? They don't have any notches or parts to disassemble the cassette and this model doesn't appear in the catalogue? It seems to require specific tools but I don't have them either? Anyone with any knowledge?

Attachments

• tempImage8c47lI.png
    tempImage8c47lI.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImageozbSA5.png
    tempImageozbSA5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImageDPuQev.png
    tempImageDPuQev.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Back