Drumlanrig planning thread!

There is another campsite at Sanquhar (Castleview Campsite, no website) about 10 miles up the A76. Advantage is Sanquhar has the nearest train station plus all usual facilities of a town. Its possible to cycle from here via minor roads right into the Drumlanrig estate.

I think Sanquhar might be an option for me as I can let the train take the strain ;)

Spoke to Rick today, he has given me a number for the estate to see of I can negotiate a discount on entry fee and he did offer his services on a guided mountain bike ride, not in drum but real old school trails with even the option of drop off somewhere high up and run back to the drum with him. He charges alas but a full day would be £200 or half half? He also said there was not really that much off piste stuff as the trails are added the main route as they are built. He will not be about on Sunday mr k but I have his aol email and he is happy to talk more as things become more firm.

He also recommended a campsite 2 miles away at penport which is good and handy for the pub at thornhill.

should be coming up for this (from southampton!) was bringing a mate but he can't get time off, this will be the main event in my week long road trip :D :D

any recommendations for a b+b or hotel would be good, was thinking Dumfries would be a good place to stay, central to the various riding centres.

as far as retro only goes, from experience of the other national events most people have ridden retro without it being a rule as such :D

Hi All,

registering interest in the 14th of Aug, also I have loose talk/arrangements of going down there on Sunday, be interested to know if anyone else is

cheers
g..

campsite

clockworkgazz":2zmhhj23 said:
i'll check out this penport and see what the size is, 2 miles from drum so could be a good option.

^^^^ it's Penpont not penport! ;)
It's a nice little village and dead easy to get to Thornhil or Drum. By the way if you're planning a weekend and you want to stay in that area, talk to Rik and ask him about Durisdeer trails, as there are plenty good loops around there, with some killer climbs and some awesome descents!! Plus strike the weather right and you'll get some amazing views across southwest Scotland.

There is another nice loop right out of Penpont up via Scaur Water and down the next valley, you ride along the top of the ridge using the southern upland way. So could be another option for you all?

Obviously Rik is a fountain of all knowledge of the Drum estate, I've known him for many a year and ridden a few good trails with him back in the day when he used to ride an Orange Alumium O. :cool:

But if you want to ask any other info by all means ask away.

cheers

Greig.

gmac123":2ti4xb0d said:
Hi All,

registering interest in the 14th of Aug, also I have loose talk/arrangements of going down there on Sunday, be interested to know if anyone else is

cheers
g..

gmac I should be heading down early doors Sunday morning get a few loops in :) if your wanting to go we'll arrange a time!

kaiser":19n2xcal said:
gmac123":19n2xcal said:
Hi All,

cheers
g..

gmac I should be heading down early doors Sunday morning get a few loops in :) if your wanting to go we'll arrange a time!

let me get back to you in the morning, I'll need to get a hold peter the belgium, my regular sunday run man and see if he's still up for the trip

Back