Downtube cable stops

The shimano ones are fairly soft aluminum. Well, it takes about 10 seconds a side to grind them down.
Some of the old aero downtube frames (kinesis for one, shogun is another) needed this treatment. The other alternative was to order a set from the importer, at huge cost and a long wait!

There is another option - there are stops you can buy which fit on the headset - I saw these recently - possibly SJS. They would be hansy and keey the tubes tidy but as you have the fitting on the tubes, they may not be a great option unless you ground the braze ons off - which is probably not the best idea. It is another option though. If i come across them i will post the link later.

Richard

stringfellow1946":2qdqht6r said:
WTF are Brifters?????
in answer to your question grind/File the back of the adjuster (the part thats sits nearest to the Frame) so its flat but leave enough of the square so that it still locates on the gear boss. i.e. take the curve part down to the same level as the other side.

Brifters - brakes/shifters. Yep, I've measured the back-plate part of the gear boss on the frame and it could well be achievable by filing - there's plenty of material to work with on the Campag adjusters I've got (that are plastic) so shouldn't be that difficult, I just fancied an easy life :facepalm:

TGR":160j2p98 said:
well,

here are covers for the bosses -

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/problem-solv ... prod24616/

now to look for the bit i wanted to find!

richard

£19.99 - definitely aimed at the fixie crew! Don't even come with the fixing bolts!! Those Modolo ones on the same page look good. I'm going to have a go at filing and squaring off the plastic ones I have, whilst ordering some of those silver ones you posted as they are looking like a good option.

mattr":2mdjq722 said:
The shimano ones are fairly soft aluminum. Well, it takes about 10 seconds a side to grind them down.
Some of the old aero downtube frames (kinesis for one, shogun is another) needed this treatment. The other alternative was to order a set from the importer, at huge cost and a long wait!

Zero benefit as far as I can see to bonding this back plate part onto a frame - was this done to limit the groupset / manufacturer choice with certain frames? Or is there some justification as it strengthened the boss to frame joint?

Pretty sure that the vitus bosses are screwed and glued through the tube to increase the strength. So that big block stops them moving round and damaging the tube itself.

And most of the bikes with that big block are aero downtubes, trying to fit a 1,125" diameter curved piece to it will either strip the thread in the boss or damage the frame.

Back