Dog_boy’s 2002 Gary Fisher supercal 29er

Dogboy

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

First build thread I’m sharing here. What a great site. I became a member after I started this project, I wish I had some earlier photos. Started this project a year ago, found the frame and original marzocchi fork on bikelist.com, kind of a random site. I stripped the paint, was probably not the best idea. The paint was in decent shape but I was more attracted to the frame itself than the whole paint scheme of these 2002 bikes. In my opinion, there is something so bad*ss about a lightweight, fast rigid, rim brake 29er. This bike will be ridden- long or lightweight overnight rides on fire roads and trails in Northern California. I want to ride it so bad and now I’m kicking myself that I have to sort out the paint. Thinking of going late 90’s Gary fisher direction for the paint/decals. Will post more parts that I currently have for the build soon.

Parts below:
-Large Gary fisher supercaliber 29
-Kona p2 29er fork- v brake posts only!!
-Thomson post, nos wtb pure v saddle, ti rails
-Pewter CK HF classic hubs to velocity cliffhangers.
-Ultradynamico mars tubeless setup
-Xtr 11-34 9spd cassette
-70mm Thomson stem, specialized wide boy 645mm bars
-Microshift thumbies
-late 90’s paul love levers

I want to paint/powder coat it black. Let me know what you think! Can’t wait for this thing to come together.

IMG_0179.jpeg IMG_0178.jpeg IMG_0180.jpeg IMG_0181.jpeg

Hello all,

First build thread I’m sharing here. What a great site. I became a member after I started this project, I wish I had some earlier photos. Started this project a year ago, found the frame and original marzocchi fork on bikelist.com, kind of a random site. I stripped the paint, was probably not the best idea. The paint was in decent shape but I was more attracted to the frame itself than the whole paint scheme of these 2002 bikes. In my opinion, there is something so bad*ss about a lightweight, fast rigid, rim brake 29er. This bike will be ridden- long or lightweight overnight rides on fire roads and trails in Northern California. I want to ride it so bad and now I’m kicking myself that I have to sort out the paint. Thinking of going late 90’s Gary fisher direction for the paint/decals. Will post more parts that I currently have for the build soon.

Parts below:
-Large Gary fisher supercaliber 29
-Kona p2 29er fork- v brake posts only!!
-Thomson post, nos wtb pure v saddle, ti rails
-Pewter CK HF classic hubs to velocity cliffhangers.
-Ultradynamico mars tubeless setup
-Xtr 11-34 9spd cassette
-70mm Thomson stem, specialized wide boy 645mm bars
-Microshift thumbies
-late 90’s paul love levers

I want to paint/powder coat it black. Let me know what you think! Can’t wait for this thing to come together.

View attachment 837909View attachment 837913View attachment 837914View attachment 837915
Following with interest. Looks like a great project. Black would be a good colour if you want stealth, go full black componentry and you've got a workhorse that you can justify not cleaning very often 😉 (main reason I love black)

That said silver frame, black parts is an ace combination. I say build it up as is when you've got all parts sourced and then decide.

And I thought 29ers frames were from the start on discs! 🫣

Super cool project and I second @Imlach advice on colour choice.

Most of all though I am jealous of the places you will ride with it!

Thanks for the advice, ive always loved the stealth black look. Decals arrived this morning from bikedecalreplace.com. Here are some more parts I’ve got. I’ve got some crazy green turbines, or could just nab the black ones off my rockhopper. I just chased the bottom bracket threads, might build it up as is, as imlach suggested!! Can’t work or ride right now cus of an injury, so, im just tweaking and tuning my bikes all day. IMG_0205.jpeg IMG_0202.jpeg IMG_0201.jpeg IMG_0206.jpeg

Back