Does anyone know what year pine mountain this is?

SkiandMTB

Retro Newbie
I found this by a dumpster at my university about a month ago, it was missing a derailleur pulley and the shifting was shot. It's way lighter than the bike I previously had so I immediately cannibalized my other bike to make the Pine Mountain functional.

Since I've fixed it up I've put about 300 mi of trail riding on it and I intend to take it bikepacking (hence the rack). The end goal is to repaint the frame, color match the rack and convert it to single speed. It has an XT groupset but I like the simplicity of SS and how clean the cockpit is with just brake cables.

Anyways I was just hoping someone knew what year it was because I really like this bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 684
Re:

I actually think it's a 1989. I've got a 1989 copy of MBUK where Dafydd and Sian Roberts feature in an article as they are the sponsored Marin riders. Both are on neon Pine Mountains and I've been after one ever since. I often wondered if they were only available to sponsored riders as I've never seen another and the standard PM that year was orange/grey. I also wondered why they were not on Team Marins as they were available as well? Maybe the same frame, maybe training bikes? The article goes on to say they were waiting for delivery on a couple of 1990 Team Titanium's. :cool:

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":14b3ijlb said:
I actually think it's a 1989. I've got a 1989 copy of MBUK where Dafydd and Sian Roberts feature in an article as they are the sponsored Marin riders. Both are on neon Pine Mountains and I've been after one ever since. I often wondered if they were only available to sponsored riders as I've never seen another and the standard PM that year was orange/grey. I also wondered why they were not on Team Marins as they were available as well? Maybe the same frame, maybe training bikes? The article goes on to say they were waiting for delivery on a couple of 1990 Team Titanium's. :cool:

Wow looks like I stumbled across a pretty sweet bike, I'm excited to get it back into decent condition and put a fresh coat of paint on it!

Also do you know where I'd be able to get those pink cr mo tange mtb stickers for the fork?

Re:

Yeah, it's certainly rare in that colour. Velocals might be your best place for decals, pretty sure my Tange Prestige frame decal came from them?

I had an '89 Pine Mountain in the special, team rider only, neon yellow(frame) and hot pink(Bars,stem,fork). I think yours is later as the '89 PM have chain stay U-Brakes or not a PM at all.
So........ Is it a Pine Mountain? Or could it be a different 89 model with "Mountain" in the name as well? Maybe a lower end one that they put the "old" canti's on, saving the "latest and greatest" technology U-Brakes for the upper end models. I say this as, what's left of the decal in the pic is the same font as my '89. Plus your missing the "Pine" . So hence it being possibly an 89 but a lower model. Or a later model PM, after they went back to canti's? I'm leaning to lower model 89 if I had to bet.
Also, the 89 had a sloping TT, but with little/no seat tube protrusion, like Kona's, for example. (I mention that as yours doesn't look sloped, but that could be the pic angle) Though, mine was a 17" and yours is a much bigger frame, so maybe there's less TT slope on the bigger frames, but I'm pretty doubtful of that being the case.
The Grey/neon paint scheme came later. (and could have been the new scheme on the '90 models, which would null me though of yours being later given the return of canti's)
The stem looks to be a Marin having the cable roller and the sloping bolt cap.
Sorry, but I don't think you have the special "unicorn" addition PM. But if you like riding it and you got it out of a dumpster then you can't go wrong! :)

Yes, '89 Pine Mountain, possibly a '90, difference being in the stays, very nice.

The U-brakes were only used on the smaller sized '89 Pine Mountains for clearance.

Re:

1991 was when zolatone arrived, and similar for 1992, so I'd say 1990 at the latest, none of the other names had mountain AFAIK

Bert the Weldor":2j6ui8se said:
I had an '89 Pine Mountain in the special, team rider only, neon yellow(frame) and hot pink(Bars,stem,fork). I think yours is later as the '89 PM have chain stay U-Brakes or not a PM at all.
So........ Is it a Pine Mountain? Or could it be a different 89 model with "Mountain" in the name as well? Maybe a lower end one that they put the "old" canti's on, saving the "latest and greatest" technology U-Brakes for the upper end models. I say this as, what's left of the decal in the pic is the same font as my '89. Plus your missing the "Pine" . So hence it being possibly an 89 but a lower model. Or a later model PM, after they went back to canti's? I'm leaning to lower model 89 if I had to bet.
Also, the 89 had a sloping TT, but with little/no seat tube protrusion, like Kona's, for example. (I mention that as yours doesn't look sloped, but that could be the pic angle) Though, mine was a 17" and yours is a much bigger frame, so maybe there's less TT slope on the bigger frames, but I'm pretty doubtful of that being the case.
The Grey/neon paint scheme came later. (and could have been the new scheme on the '90 models, which would null me though of yours being later given the return of canti's)
The stem looks to be a Marin having the cable roller and the sloping bolt cap.
Sorry, but I don't think you have the special "unicorn" addition PM. But if you like riding it and you got it out of a dumpster then you can't go wrong! :)

It definitely says pine mountain on it, just super faded, the picture doesn't show the "pine" very well at all. I appreciate your input though!

Back