Does anyone know anything about the SunTour X1 groupset?

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
I've just bought an early 1990s Nigel Dean World Tour from a friend of mine at my running club. It looks like 20 years ago she was sold a lovely touring bike, except that it was too big for her... so she was never very comfortable riding it, eventually gave up, and it's spent the last 5 years in her shed.

There's a little surface rust here and there but generally it's in very good nick and looks like it will clean up really nicely. It has a Reynolds 531 frame and forks, an ITM stem and 3TTT Podium handlebars so I reckon it must have been decent in its time.

But the groupset is what really interests me. It's a mix of companies yet it all seems to be part of the same range.

SunTour front and rear gears (the back derailleur is long cage) with handlebar-mounted shifters (Power Control for the front, AccuShift Plus for the back) with kind of butterfly tin-opener kind of levers on them, Dia Compe cantilever brakes with drilled levers, and a Sakae triple chainset.

Yet it all matches, it's all in black and all carries the same logo - X-1. SunTour X-1, Dia Compe X-1, Sakae X-1. Yet I thought SunTour used to make all these things themselves. Was this a late development when they were going under and trying to compete with Shimano?

Was it any good in its day? Is it any good now? I know SunTour Superbe stuff is lovely, and vastly sought after, but did the X-1 come after SunTour had gone off the boil?

Oh, and the wheels are SunTour hubs (doesn't say any particular model kind) with Alesa rims. The look like good strong touring wheels.

Re:

It worked quite nicely, at latest front he thumbies. A much more precise/solid type of 'thunk' on changing gears. (Xc comp, compared to xt and xtr that I had actually still have them all).
Never had the pleasure of the ratchet shifter (rapidfire style)

In 91 they upgraded the rear mech and maybe other bits with the higher end rear mech design (used the same moulds)

I'm also selling the Nigel Dean, if anyone's interested. I rode it from Manchester to Southport one day, having only intended to go to Lymm, because it was a nice day and it was such a joy to ride. But it's definitely too small for me, and too big for my girlfriend. On that basis, it'd be ideal for someone 5'4"-5'6".

Back