Do I want to add 2mm to the spindle length for Italian frame

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
I have a nice set of 1987 Suntour Sprint cranks ready to go onto my 1987 Atala frame.

According to the Suntour 1987 catalouge, the Sprint cranks require a 108mm bottom bracket spindle for English 68mm bottom brackets.

Since my Atala has a 70mm Italian bottom bracket shell, should I require a 110mm bottom bracket instead of 108mm?

the answer is probably yes, although it might be easier to find a 111mm than 110mm spindle. if you already have a 108 though, try it and see - it might work well enough, depending on crank length, chainstay shape, luck, etc!

I think no , and i know in cartridge Dura ace there was just Italian or English cups with the same body (spindle) Surely as long as the inner ring and arms clear the chainstays it will be fine .

latman":3o7eidtj said:
I think no , and i know in cartridge Dura ace there was just Italian or English cups with the same body (spindle) Surely as long as the inner ring and arms clear the chainstays it will be fine .

I have a Willier with a 70mm BBshell. It is fitted with a Campag super record chainset & super record bottom bracket, with the same 102 mm spindle, just different threading on the cups, the inner ring clears the chainstay by 4mm

Axle length is a constant unless you throw other factors in like triple chainsets, odd gear ratios, longer chainstays etc.

On most bikes up to a couple of mm either way will make very little difference though.

Back