Do I need a longer Bottom bracket?

I’d say arms are too close too. Only would take any flex , mud or bolt to come slightly loose and it’s a chunk out of chainstay.

I'd say that's a bit to close for comfort, it looks pretty tight before you even consider it'll be a tighter gap once you've fitted the chain.

GT Dave - OK you need to measure things to know how much you need by way of clearance - 3-5mm is about right in terms of the crank arm to chain stay clearance. Then you need one of these:

And a big adjustable spanner to go on it. Then know that the RH side cup is reverse thread - i.e. turn clockwise to undo, while non-drive LH is normal - anticlockwise to undo....

Then you need to make sure that you know whether the BB shell is 68 or 73 wide - which you can tell be measuring it. Then go for a longer axle bb - just ask on here and I am sure people will come up with one....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
GT Dave - OK you need to measure things to know how much you need by way of clearance - 3-5mm is about right in terms of the crank arm to chain stay clearance. Then you need one of these:

And a big adjustable spanner to go on it. Then know that the RH side cup is reverse thread - i.e. turn clockwise to undo, while non-drive LH is normal - anticlockwise to undo....

Then you need to make sure that you know whether the BB shell is 68 or 73 wide - which you can tell be measuring it. Then go for a longer axle bb - just ask on here and I am sure people will come up with one....
Thanks that’s really helpful

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah, take the crank arm back off and measure it, but you need mm's, so callipers will reach over otherwise improvise with a desk and block of wood (or a clamp/vice to get the outer width and measure the gap in them).*

As drive side is fine, the next size up should be good to push the none drive side out.

*If it is Shimano, the number will also be written on the axle near the cup.

Back