Disc brake dilemma

Re: Discs

Wold Ranger":3mpyi02u said:
Most race frames still come fitted with V brake bosses for this reason and why between 25 and 50 percent of most starters at Mtb races steer well clear of discs. Drag is a real problem

I don't claim to be an expert in anything but as a subscriber to modern magazines for some time not sure I have seen any bikes other than custom built either v or canti bosses and all races i have seen both reported on online or in publications are 99% disc brake if not more.

I used Clarkes disc brakes (s2) self fitted and I am a noob on disc and two years needed no adjustment and suffered no drag. Fit and forget.

Pretty sure all disc systems I have used have rubbed very slightly. I don't think it's enough to cause any problems though.
I can't see how the pistons are going to move back further then the disc has enough force to push them, which means they will always be slightly touching at the 'highest' point of the disc.
Interestingly if you have warped discs does this mean you will get less friction than a perfectly straight disc?

Hmm, unsure how I missed the draco and stroker combo in the first post, apologies there!

I would still think the problem points to sticking pistons or overfilling, I'd suspect gradually bleeding a little fluid out of the Hayes brake - pull lever in, crack bleeder, let out a little fluid until you feel the lever move, tighten bleeder - may help the drag, as for the grinding in the front, depends if its constant or only when brakes applied. The Tektro wavey rotor (if thats the one) is thicker than some and also can be quite noisy, especially when brakes are lightly applied.

Wold Ranger, I guess I don't see as much mud as you do. Sand, dust etc I see plenty of and its been a long time since I've seen brakes which won't retract pads or drag constantly unless they're faulty. I have had a faultless record with Shimano brakes, some issues with seizing Avids.

Hi
I will try later letting some fluid out and see if that improves the situation, I know what you mean about Avid brakes i have briefly delt with them on a different bike and they where terrible sized etc but i am sure many people think they great.

Back