Dirt Mag in search of bikes...

Anyone interested in me posting up some pics of my old Pace DH bike? Pretty rare and in mint and ori

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
pacerc500dhbike3os9.jpg

pacerc500dhbikejx8.jpg

Hi Mr Dirt Ed

Good to see the mags are sniffing around again, MBUK have been around these parts earlier in the year. Its about time the mags started to look back at our sport's heritage instead of feeding us nothing but rehashed press releases of the latest 9" overkill full susser designed for 30 something overweight IT blokes to talk loudly about in wine bars. Regular features on older bikes and how the sport evolved etc would certainly get me buying the mags again. I'm sure a couple of pages every few months looking back instead of forward would bag a few new readers and shift some extra copies - there are almost 3000 of us on here now, all starved of quality retro reading in paper form, quite a significant market don't you think Ed?

I can see by the level of posts already that there's a lot of you guys (and girls?) on this site, and it does make me think someone should be making a mag for all us lovers of retro bikes.
Anyway, I'll reply to 'crud' first...that is indeed a sweet bike and it was one which we considered featuring but to be honest this is going to be a feature about 'bikes that changed the face of DH', and although that was one of the most popular bikes at the time we're not sure we could describe it as such. Great bike though, i had one for a few years.
Orange71...you've beaten me to it! I have to say though that as nice as yours is unlike mine it doesn't have a pair of the first 20 Monster forks on the front which were something very special. They never quite managed to match the performance of the first batch, but that's probably because they spent a week making each pair of the first forks rather than the half a day which they spent on the production version. Like yours though mine is an F2 frame, i did have an F1 but sadly it cracked. Luckily for the F2 that was the one area which they really beefed up (the bit where the adjustable spring rate pivot sits).
Finally Dr S...You can't have been reading Dirt over the past 12 months because we've done a whole load of retro bike features. We did the history of gears (going right back to expanding chainrings and the like), history of brakes (with a whole load of very rare prototypes from companies like Hope), and we did the history of hardtails with photos of all sorts of classics including the very first Breezer ever made. Anyway, even though you've missed those articles you've still got at least five issues to look forward to which will have articles on these bikes 'that changed DH'.

Anyway, over and out, cos I've got to get on with writing this thing, ed

Don't recall seeing a dale, but there was a rather original RTS for sale and a Sunn in BOTM recently, fandangle gears an all.

Sorry Ed, looks like I have been reading the wrong mag! Mind you when you live up here you are lucky to get a recent Radio Times never mind a good Bike mag. I bought the June copy of MBUK from the local paper shop on Saturday and I'm now looking forward to summer riding!
I feel a Dirt subscription coming on if the retro content continues ;)

Dr S":1el9ajeq said:
I bought the June copy of MBUK from the local paper shop on Saturday and I'm now looking forward to summer riding!

Sounds like you've got a suitably retro local newsagent!

dirtyed":2bbtnxyk said:
Dr S":2bbtnxyk said:
I bought the June copy of MBUK from the local paper shop on Saturday and I'm now looking forward to summer riding!

Sounds like you've got a suitably retro local newsagent!

Its not just the Newsagent, I called into town the other day to upgrade our home entertainment system. Yup , we've gone Betamax! Anyone for Death Race 2000 this weekend?

DE,

The March edition found favour around these parts, as I recall...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t+magazine :cool:

This thread might also amuse you...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

As might this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6ve7lNrxI ... re=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K9-pX5QNk ... re=related

It would be interesting to ask this forum what they think are the most significant/influential fledgling DH bikes - the RTS is one of course (Reebok Eliminator anyone? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bkls8D5Y7 ... re=related ), along with the 1990 San An - but what else were we going to the top of the hill in 1991-3 on...?

Mr K

PS. I have an RTS 1and an early San Andreas available if you get stuck....

PPS. Why don't you guys organise/sponsor a pre 1993 DH race next year withg a few stars and us lot.... interesting to compare times with modern bikes too...

Cheers for the links MrKawasaki, good to see there's some Dirt readers using this forum. Love the old Malverns shots too, that brings back some memories.
Oh yeah, how 'of the period' is your RTS?

Back