Did they ever make a ….

As I have noted, Shimano’s hinged cage design did not last, curious why. Is it a bad design? Does it wear faster? More expensive to produce?

I've seen several M950 front mechs with the inside cage face almost worn through, so I can't help but think there must have been a fundamental flaw in the design.

Not a flaw, but a feature of lightweight nickel plated alloy.
Aka they get worn down. They are not good old steel like the normal mech.
Although the marketing says it is to reduce wear, I can only assume that's a play on 'wear' and means the alloy part isn't ripped apart on the first few rides, and not comparing it to the steel mechs ;-).

Hinged is 'differential plate design' , given all the mechs have hinges I suppose.

I think Shimano sorted the problem in the good old fashioned, by a replacement plate spare part.

Here’s a photo from the eBay ad of what’s on its way. The outer and inner plates look like chrome plated steel, is the inner one actually nickel plated alloy?
0D366C72-DBC7-4C35-99DF-5C8AE1C1F00C.jpeg

Personally I prefer the look of the M953 front to the M900 if using a M95* series rear.

Also my M910 group is a markedly different shade than any of my M900 groups, a lot more blueish.

yo2.JPG

Back