DeKerf Team ST 853

Re:

That's lovely Frank :cool: What size is it?

Couldn't resist another then? ;)

was told it was an 17.5" and was hoping it was a tad smaller than the Generation, but looks to be the same 18", though it feels smaller. i'll have to compare side by side when i have the chance. think the Generation will be going out the door as i can't justify keeping both as they both are equally fine steeds with just too much overlap.

so off comes the RF cranks and hs, as well as the Syncros hinged stem. RF Next LP in white, RF hs in black and RF Deus XC as promised! :D also slapped on a tall stock of ti spacers. looks so much better!!! :cool: also rubbed down the frame to elimate/reduce the amount of marks to it, particularily the non-drive stays had some nasty black tape (electric?) on it. :?

might still give a set of ti risers a try. as well as the DeKerf branded chainrings in place of the black RFs. need to address tyres too.

Attachments

• DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 719
  • DSC00092.JPG
    DSC00092.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 719
Nice bike! Interesting to see the changes to the frames over the years, does your have the 2 little gussets under the BB joining the stays to the shell? I have a 99 frame with the ti stays.
I panicked when Dekerf was talking about closing his shop and bought an extra seal and bushing, let me know if you need it. Also have a spare carbon mud guard for the rear shock, I made it after seizing mine on a wet sandy ride.

i'm guessing you referring to the two little "fins" attached top and bottom of the bb shell & chain stays? if so, then yes. :D

i know a lot of companies did soft tails. were they a universal design, or did each do their own variation/take on the hardware??? i'm asking to see if parts are interchangeable if i do ever require sevicing mine.

Attachments

• DSC00097.JPG
    DSC00097.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 686
  • DSC00096.JPG
    DSC00096.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 686
On my frame they are under the BB shell, not on top like yours, very interesting.

The collar that holds the shock guts in place is different on your too from mine. I would assume every company is a little different, I had Chris make me new parts and never really considered if it was a stock off the shelf part.

Attachments

• Dekerf2.JPG
    Dekerf2.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 682
Baulz":ftd1wwhz said:
On my frame they are under the BB shell, not on top like yours, very interesting.
this one here doesn't seem to have any. maybe the reason it failed and separated?

viewtopic.php?t=148749

yours has the ti stays, too bad mine aren't. ah well.

al-onestare":ftd1wwhz said:
Great bike but I'm not feeling the saddle.
it was the only somewhat "decent" saddle i have kicking around at the moment. ran out of flite saddles. :facepalm: :LOL:

it actually rides quite comfortable. don't think it looks too bad, does it? only thing i'm not fond of is that you see all of the rails instead of being tucked under. still mulling the thought of moving on the Generation. if so i'll use the flite saddle from it. :roll:

Sorry to clog up your thread but if you are looking to compare here some pics of mine...

Looks like the Ti ones have the "fins" on the bottom...

I wonder how your steel one compares in ride as Ti has a different flex than steel

from the DeKerf website, it says the stays moved from steel to ti because there was a shortage of the steel chainstays in 99.
With supply problems hampering the availability of the steel chainstays that we used in 1998, we had proceeded on putting into production an idea whose time had come for the 1999 frame. We replaced the steel chainstay with a titanium version.
i'm getting good travel out the frame so curious if there is any signficant difference between using steel or ti. maybe structurally steel might be more durable given it's welded while ti would be bonded? check out my prev link to what looks like a post 2000 model. no fins on it whatsoever.

i considered picking up yours. but it was neither the right price, nor colour for me.

Latest posts

Back