Deciphering Klein S/N

Just to throw a little cold water on the idea that early 1990 Attitudes, SN: ATxxx, had some issues with headsets and they then started BATxxx with the headsets done correctly.

My first one, SN: BAT487 had this very issue. Noticed the headset wasn't as tight as it should be and Klein sent out headset tool and new bearings but there were still problems. They then told the shop that some of them were "overbored", mine included, and it should be returned for a 91 model.

They said to keep riding it to the end of the season as it wasn't dangerous but a week later the headtube snapped clean off, so it really didn't matter either way. I was going to upgrade to an Adroit but 8 months later, they couldn't deliver an Adroit and had no idea when they would be producing them. They had a backfire colored Attitude in stock, so I went with that just to have something.

pinguwin":3grgfxl2 said:
Just to throw a little cold water on the idea that early 1990 Attitudes, SN: ATxxx, had some issues with headsets and they then started BATxxx with the headsets done correctly.

My first one, SN: BAT487 had this very issue. Noticed the headset wasn't as tight as it should be and Klein sent out headset tool and new bearings but there were still problems. They then told the shop that some of them were "overbored", mine included, and it should be returned for a 91 model.

They said to keep riding it to the end of the season as it wasn't dangerous but a week later the headtube snapped clean off, so it really didn't matter either way. I was going to upgrade to an Adroit but 8 months later, they couldn't deliver an Adroit and had no idea when they would be producing them. They had a backfire colored Attitude in stock, so I went with that just to have something.

I hear ya. Got a pic of the S/N and downtube on the problem bike?? I only ask b/c I've see a few of these B K AT serial numbers, where the K is the Klein symbol and the frames were actually AT serials which were either repaired or modified after initial welding and changed over to B.

Re:

Hi Martin,

Picked up an early Attitude, Dolomite with box fork solid black decals Klein embossed headset seal, frame is A205 (followed by a circled K) and fork is PT13D.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 467
That's a 1991 frame, I have seen some forks with the PT number as well. Some early 91s still got the embossed headseat seal. I have one like that.

I wonder if the 1991 Box forks may have the PT serial number... that would make sense.

Frame # 517 for 1991

Re:

A new Klein Ash. Love to see some photos some time. Just been reading about serial numbers on the Second Spin site. Interesting stuff. Mine fits perfectly as a 1990 by Martins formulae.

Re:

Few more;

Attitude 19" in Coral, 27.2, BB stamped (K sign) ATT000582, Uni A10# -can't read due to paint.

Attitude 19" in Sunburst, 31.6, BB (K) T02931273, no fork fitted.

Adroit 19" Forrest Green-(orig. BF), 27.2, AD13D, Strata A#27#-can't read due to paint.

Cool, good bit of data.

Seems as though the first few 1991s had box forks with PT serial numbers. 1990 Box forks had serial numbers beginning with 5A. I wonder if this means anything about the fork.

Do you have a normal 1990 box fork? I'd love some detail comparison!

Re: Re:

Vinevo":p6yvrspq said:
Few more;

Adroit 19" Forrest Green-(orig. BF), 27.2, AD13D, Strata A#27#-can't read due to paint.

I have this one already, my records indicate that it's a uniklein fork, not a strata. Try to get the fork S/N, maybe a rubbing or something???

At any rate it's a 91 Adroit, #317, highest number in 1991 in my list.

Re:

It's heading for paint soon back to BF so I will get the SN, it's definitely a Strata as it has the smoother welds and larger holes.

My only other box is on my BF Att which I posted in the beginning if the thread I think-pg4, that's a 91 I think we decided.

Edit, and the Dolo with a box, how can I forget.

Backfire 91 Frame S.No. A3D9 White lettering with black shadow.
Box Fork S.No. A0316 Black lettering with white outline. 91 frame 90 fork?

Dolomite 90 Fr. BAT3D9 Lettering solid black.
Box Fk. 5A67C Solid black.

Dolomite 91 Fr. A653 Wh. with black shadow.
Uni Fk. A0A36 Blk. with white outline.

Black 90 Fr. BAT703
Box Fk. 5A73F

1990 Attitude

Here are some shots of the serial numbers on my XL frame.

Attachments

• klein7.jpg
    klein7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 416
  • klein8.jpg
    klein8.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 413
  • klein9.jpg
    klein9.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 413
Back