decal application on titanium question -

Harryburgundy":2dman5n0 said:
RadNomad":2dman5n0 said:
WD40 can't be a good idea can it? - surely you'd want to degrease the surface?

Thx!

Well, I am only speaking from experience of cleaning umpteen high end ti frames...wd40 removes dirt and is very good at removing sticker residue. You obviously do not just spray it on then pop new stickers on...instead spray on and clean down with paper towel. You will be amazed by how much dirt is lifted from a seemingly clean looking frame.

4. REMOVES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40 Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.

Hi, yes i can see the virtue of WD40 as a cleaning agent, it just sounded unusual that this would be the last fluid used before applying decals since decals are generally to be applied on a grease / lubricant free surface and wiping lubed surfaces with cloths or paper towels may not fully remove the residue. Hence using evaporating degreasers like nail polish remover, white spirit or whatever. However if you say it works, that's great. Thanks for the tip.

Rampage":ak6kk9g2 said:
RadNomad":ak6kk9g2 said:
I need to do this soon too.

What is IPA please?
WD40 can't be a good idea can it? - surely you'd want to degrease the surface?
What's the scoop about using furniture polish on titanium?

Thx!

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol

This is it in disguise:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

Great thanks! I got some decals from Gil_m for my Ti so these tips are appreciated.

many many thanks for the detailed explanation!

I was too embarrassed to ask what "IPA" was, since it only means "India Pale Ale" to me. I was under the impression that beer was some sort of secret cleaning agent.

It's a fast evaporating solvent.
Spay on and wipe with something that won't leave fibres (not toilet roll!) and leave it a few minutes.
You can buy it cheaper in bulk from Atom Scientific.

Back