Dawes Kingpin meets 90s MTB bits...

The History Man":1q1bztqr said:
How big a rub is it?

Not that bad, probably only a few mm (if that makes sense), but enough that it's going to take all the paint off the stay and clog up the chain with it...

bluetomgold":ejpswdvw said:
The History Man":ejpswdvw said:
How big a rub is it?

Not that bad, probably only a few mm (if that makes sense), but enough that it's going to take all the paint off the stay and clog up the chain with it...

Take a file to it!

The History Man":2gatd51w said:
bluetomgold":2gatd51w said:
The History Man":2gatd51w said:
How big a rub is it?

Take a file to it!

It did cross my mind...

xerxes":2gatd51w said:
How about a hub gear with a drum brake? Kill two birds with one stone: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-intern ... e-36-hole/

Yeah, and double the budget in one click. ;) That'll be a no, for this build anyway. The rear brake is fine, really. Just not brilliant. IME drum brakes are never brilliant either to be fair. Good in the wet.

Favourite plan at the moment is to stick a 5 speed freewheel on it and use a Suntour power ratchet friction shifter (that I've got already, and which needs using anyway). I reckon I've got a 5 speed block somewhere... just need to dig it out.

The easiest, cheapest solution is usually the best.

Where did I put my file? ;)

The History Man":12xffy63 said:
A round file. A scalloped weight saving go faster section.

Yeah f*** it I'll have a look.

It's already had a bit of hacksaw/file/weight saving action.

Before:

After:

As you can see, my afternoon's effort was not wasted:

Attachments

• DSCF9007.jpg
    DSCF9007.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF9024.jpg
    DSCF9024.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF9026.jpg
    DSCF9026.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 214
Well a little more won’t hurt. Tough old things. My sister’s twenty used to carry a rammed paper bag balanced on the rack and me every Sunday morning. Never let me down. Suppose I was a little lighter then. I was eleven.

bluetomgold":j3fj8npi said:
I have the original 3 speed wheels and tyres for the Kingpin if anyone wants them...

Hey! Don't suppose these are still available? I've just picked up a cheap Kingpin KP20 but it's missing a rear tyre (and the front tyre is shot). I'm assuming the size is 500a and that tyres are not available......so if you have a pair available I'd be interested, at least so I can get it rideable.

sherlylock":h4wvxzoq said:
bluetomgold":h4wvxzoq said:
I have the original 3 speed wheels and tyres for the Kingpin if anyone wants them...

Hey! Don't suppose these are still available? I've just picked up a cheap Kingpin KP20 but it's missing a rear tyre (and the front tyre is shot). I'm assuming the size is 500a and that tyres are not available......so if you have a pair available I'd be interested, at least so I can get it rideable.

Yep... all yours if you want em. Tyres aren't going to be brilliant, but seem to be holding air at least... PM me.

Back