Dawes Imperial - any info?

Well, well, was looking for the name of the paint scheme for my Imperial (Burnt Cherry) and landed here after a bit of Googling; an active Imperial thread!
Mine gets used almost daily and covers a couple of hundred miles plus most weeks plus weekend rides and has done for the past 5 or so years. Just been adjusting the rear hub bearings this morning ready for a pedal later.

It's my favourite bike, such a sweet ride.
20211122_153029.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm. Burnt cherry. You're clearly a fit chap, pedalling that 42T up a mountain like that. Not surprised to see that the Kashimax saddle didn't stay the distance.

Is that a BELL????:eek: (Call me a fashion victim, but I always found it more effective to bellow "OI!" at whoever stepped off the pavement with their head in the clouds.)

Mmm. Burnt cherry. You're clearly a fit chap, pedalling that 42T up a mountain like that. Not surprised to see that the Kashimax saddle didn't stay the distance.

Is that a BELL????:eek: (Call me a fashion victim, but I always found it more effective to bellow "OI!" at whoever stepped off the pavement with their head in the clouds.)
It came with what I think is an 80s Selle San Marco saddle (pictured) but it's not very comfortable so I've swapped it out for Sella Mitica which is much better.
20220421_163433.jpg

I cheated a little and swapped out the Suntour 13-24 freewheel for a Shimano TZ510, 13-28t to give my knees a slightly easier time

As to the bell, I have absolutely no fashion sense or interest in it 😁. 'Oi' is saved for those plonkers weaving their way along staring at their phones or plugged in, oblivious, to their headphones. Everyone else gets a ting of the very melodious Lion Bellworks bell.

Virtually all the components appeared to be original, circa 1984, when I got the bike but I've swapped out items such as saddle, pedals, freewheel & wheel rims since. The originals are all safely tucked away in a box.

It's very light and gets carried and pedalled up and across all sorts or terrain.
20211107_124052.jpg

Hi, I've just got hold of a Dawes Imperial which i'm unsure of the age of?

It's 531c tubing with suntour Cyclone M II mechs (7 speed) Super Custom 52/42 chainset and Mallard hubs on rigida rims.

There's no head tube badge with Dawes Imperial on the top tube and Dawes 'Hand Made' on the down tube.

Any clues anyone as Dawes can't help saying they lost a lot of historical data in a fire?

Cheers Paul
I had one of these in burnt cherry red bought in 1983 new from brants cycles in torquay - no longer there - the size was s tiny bit big for me but was able to adjust - i have the original frame still after it was refurbed by bob jackson - i changed everything on it tbh nothing original other than the frame which i added gear level bosses and campag rear dropouts - it rode lovely and was fast - quite upright which some wont like - some one has added a pic of the burnt cherry red which was finished with gold detail which looked the best

Back