Dawes Galaxy Tour 531

Meejoir

Retro Guru
The last thing I needed was another touring bike and one was dangled into my lap. I couldn't say no. It was given to me by a good friend, with a bag full of parts in return for a favour, she cost me nothing and I needed a lockdown challenge so...

She's a Dawes Galaxy Tour with a 531 frame. I suspect a 1998 or 1999 model (I thought earlier but some Dawes experts told me late 90s). I've not managed to locate a Dawes catalogue for that year so if anyone knows of one add a link below!

In the surprise bag of components were a pair of Shimano bar end shifters. I've not used these before so I thought I'd give them a shot. These still seem to part of a lot of touring bikes these days and so far I've enjoyed the experience.

I have a dislike of quill stems, mainly because I like the ease of faffing on with different stem angles and lengths so I chucked a stem adapter in there.

As this was built up during the great lockdown I've used the opportunity to use up some parts that I've had lying around in the garage, hence there's a mixture of Shimano and Campag on the drive train. Campag Centaur 50/39/30 chainset and a Shimano Tiagra rear mech, an odd mix but works perfectly well on the 8 speed cassette.

The only things i ordered were a couple of gear cables, a Holdsworth stem and a set of Tektro mini V brakes as the canti's were not to my taste. I wouldn't usually put a pair of Giant gravel tyres on this kind of build but they're what I had hanging up and they don't look too bad.

She rides beautifully. Smooth as. It's a shame my cycling holiday to Belgium, France and Netherlands is up the swanee this year...

Attachments

• IMG_5901.JPG
    IMG_5901.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 418
Nice! I'm beginning to think that a custom titanium touring bike with a nice horizontal top tube, might be my, "One bike to rule them all" machine. You have to love 531ST as well!

Back