DAWES FOX

Brake blocs

Nothing special actually. Just that so far the replacements I keep finding are generally too big and wide. The ones on the bike were cheap. I'll keep looking. Still waiting on the seat post to arrive so I can fit my brooks saddle and then the bar tape.

Re: Brake blocs

rogerthat":3gz6v0hl said:
Still waiting on the seat post to arrive so I can fit my brooks saddle and then the bar tape.

As a matter of interest, what size of seatpost does the Fox have ?

Regards,
Gordon

Seat Post Size

I believe it was 26.5mm. Because the frame is probably slightly too big for me, I had to resource a post that could go very low. I now have finished bike with brookes saddle, bar tape ,Panniers etc. Nice ride. I also found that the 27" 1 1/4 tyres were too wide for frame so had to go for 27" 1 x 1/8. This bike has been quite trial and error but have got there in the end.

rogerthat":3k0olqk4 said:
I'm nearly done on the rebuild but have had to replace lots of parts. Fortunately there seems to be a healthy supply of NOS parts around so I've used where I can. These old parts were just not built to last I guess. Out of all the parts I'm stuck on the break blocs of all things? Need to find some ASAP as I'm wanting to use my 40th next Monday as a launch for it.

Back in some Fibrax pads http://www.fibrax.com/p29/Weinmann/Rale ... _info.html - I have some 35 year old Fibrax pads on my Viking and brand new ones on my Viscount. Made in lovely Wrexham too...

Just came across this forum on a Google search - hoping someone might be able to help with some info.

My son has bought a secondhand Dawes Fox but has a problem with the rear tyre rubbing the bolt for the reflector. It has a 27 X 1 1/4 inch wheel but now realise from dawesdawesdawes's post that it probably originally had a 26-inch wheel.

I'm used to dealing with hybrids so this is a new area for me. Can anyone advise what width wheels I should be looking for?

Thanks.

stickinsect60":2go5d3cy said:
...has a problem with the rear tyre rubbing the bolt for the reflector. It has a 27 X 1 1/4 inch wheel but now realise from dawesdawesdawes's post that it probably originally had a 26-inch wheel.

Is the reflector mounted on the rear brake bolt ? a mudgard reflector?

There's masses of clearance with 27 x 1 1/4 wheels on my Fox

A picture of the bike and the problem area would help, but from what you're saying it sounds as if adjusting the mudguard stays would fix it.

I know my Fox would originally have come with 27" wheels, though it had 700C when I got it. It shows 27" as the only option in this catalogue too, though other years may differ of course http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/n ... ary%29.pdf

This is my one, the 700C wheels are 8mm smaller in diameter than the 27". As you can see the end of the mudguard is quite close to the wheel and can be moved out by loosening the nuts at the end of the stay.

ATB not required... by RichardB5, on Flickr

Thank you RubberLegs and BobToo that has saved me a lot of time and hassle.

It's a mudguard-mounted reflector that's causing the issue. The mudguards are Dawes stainless steel ones, but the stays aren't adjustable. Given what you've both said the simplest solution looks to be to simply change the mudguards. I didn't want to do that initially because of my doubts about the correct wheel size.

Thanks once again.

Back