Dablk's 1997 Kona U'I

Re: Re:

Besides forks and colour I haven't spotted huge diffences between U'I and Manomano :shock:

True, the core frame and material is the same. The spec was completely different - really different - and in my opinion, would significantly change the quality of the ride, especially the rear shock. I've got mine to Kilauea spec with XC's on the front and it's a beast - a joy to ride.

Lol Al,
Yours is a millions miles apart in quality.and a 20" you lucky boy ;)

Yeah the rear shock looks basic on this bad boy. I have no concept of shocks but if you ever wanted to put something modern on is it doable?

Re:

How much more basic does it get than a Fox Vanilla rear shock :LOL: but I have to admit I did not check the catalogue and compare the two. I think you could also mount a shock like a Monarch as long as it is 165mm

Edit: alright, I looked into the catalogue, you're right - the U'I was lower specced :oops:

Mathias

ohh to have a fox rearshock.. mine is some Rockshock bad boy. which looks like its just basically a spring ;)

Re:

In fact the Fox in mine was just a spring with a little oil damping I guess - and you could adjust the spring Tension (should be set up according to the riders weight which I never did :oops:)

Years back I sourced a Monarch for a few €s in Germany but unfortunately it was too long so I traded it for a RS Coupé which again was just a spring :LOL:

Re:

I might have that elusive front mech, might even be NOS too :)

Will check in the shed in the morning.

This is looking really nice and those cheap brake levers look quite impressive and i bet they work pretty well to tbh as i've got some cheapo's on my bike and their more impressive than the old avid replica's that were on lol.

Re:

For anyone following this thread I purchased the frame from Chris last month.

This is my first full suspension bike and have basically built it up with bits I had lying around as i'm only using it to try tire the dog out but may add to it in the future.

Had her inaugural voyage this morning:

unnamed_4.jpg

Back