Cycle2Work

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone done this? My employer has given us a £3k budget 😀

To be spent at Halfords :mad: Was hoping for fleabay.

Thinking of getting something I'd never normally buy but might be handy to have, like a folding bike or even an ebike.

Halfords do Bromptons which does appeal, but then a folding ebike might be a giggle too, I quite like the look of this one.

Some folk have switched transfered there cycle to work scheme to other bike shops for a better choice of bike
other than what Halfords offer, incase you were limited.

I did it about 5 years ago. Can't say it was the best experience I've had. Poor supplier, everything was MRRP so way overpriced. Fleabay prices were about 50-60% by comparison, which was disappointing. I've known a couple of friends have better experiences with open choices for suppliers. You might be able to switch suppliers if you look into it. I found it a good way to buy kit - clothing, lights etc.

I did it about 5 years ago. Can't say it was the best experience I've had. Poor supplier, everything was MRRP so way overpriced. Fleabay prices were about 50-60% by comparison, which was disappointing. I've known a couple of friends have better experiences with open choices for suppliers. You might be able to switch suppliers if you look into it. I found it a good way to buy kit - clothing, lights etc.
Some folk have switched transfered there cycle to work scheme to other bike shops for a better choice of bike
other than what Halfords offer, incase you were limited.
Would be interested in switching suppliers, any idea how that works? Do I need to get my employer to sign up with another one?

You used to be able to redeem the Halfords vouchers through Tredz, not certain if that's still the case.

I did this a good few years ago and made a good saving on a Cube bike from Tredz. I think it’s still the case that a lot of independents will accept Halfords vouchers as well as some other brands. Just a case of having a look around. At the time they let me have it for the sale price but some wouldn’t let you have sale price if using cycle2work or similar. Google “accepts Halfords Cycle2work” and you get quite a lot of results. 40% saving not to be sniffed at and I still use the bike.

Halfords own the "Cycle2Work" employee benefits business.

Your employers have contracted into the halfords-owned scheme, in the belief that you can buy a bike almost anywhere. perhaps its because they probably don't cycle, bu they've heard of halfords and think that therefore their scheme must be good.

the Cycle2Work information presented to the employee seems to encourage that person to go to halfords, whilst not clearly indicating that you can in fact buy a bike from any participating shop.

Other shops accepting Halfords c2w vouchers are charged 15%!

There are many other providers.
We would recommend Green Commute Initiative.
It's a lot easier to get paid, and keep enough margin to keep trading.
We accept these and several others.

GCI seem to manage to do a tidier job and charge us 4% iirc.

Last edited:
Cheers for all the info, I'll take a look at GCI, if nothing else the green credentials will appeal to our nutty HR bint, who is utterly convinced that the recent cold weather is proof positive that the Earth is about to burst into flames.

Latest posts

Back