Cutting down an XTR chainring spider

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
You know ,the one from the m950/1 with a 46T outer which is the spider with holes in that for the inner and granny.

Picked up one the other day and had the intention of either grinding down the teeth to create a chainguard or removing the outer ring completely, dressing the ends and using it as a single adaptor.

The Middle placing would be better i think for the 1x8/1x9 set up given its sat in the middle of the block normally and not too extreme an angle on the chain when riding the top or bottom cogs

Now im assuming this has been done already :LOL: So does anyone have any examples :D or aware of any problems i could face though tbh i cant see any :?

IM gonna follow this discussion as I had the same considerrations... Running an 1x9 on the crankset could be a smart and well looking solution...

See if you can still get the middle burn spider. Converts it to anormal chain set

Pretty sure it's what I've got on my M950 chainset, one look at the replacement cost of the large ring was enough to have me looking for an alternative. Spider and a set of aftermarket rings was about the same as the 950 big ring.

dyna-ti":2svzmbxf said:
You know ,the one from the m950/1 with a 46T outer which is the spider with holes in that for the inner and granny.

Picked up one the other day and had the intention of either grinding down the teeth to create a chainguard or removing the outer ring completely, dressing the ends and using it as a single adaptor.

The Middle placing would be better i think for the 1x8/1x9 set up given its sat in the middle of the block normally and not too extreme an angle on the chain when riding the top or bottom cogs

Now im assuming this has been done already :LOL: So does anyone have any examples :D or aware of any problems i could face though tbh i cant see any :?

yes this has been done before. i've seen the chainring milled down to a chainguide, essentially removing the teeth.

There are various spiders I think. I've got a few (not for sale):

Shimano 110bcd
hershey racing 110bcd
forge 4 bolt pattern (94 bcd?)
shimano dh version 112 bcd
not sure of brand 5 bolt compact.

Middleburn do a few versions every now and again, plus I've seen you can use AC spiders as well.

You can also use the spider from xt, lx and stx cranks.

If only there were as many bottom bracket options.

Heres the offending ring with some marks showing where ill cut and a DH shimano on top showing the BCD is the same.
(just to save pic space :) )

Still a little unsure whether to take the outer ring off completely, and shape the rest to match the DH :? or leave it there as a chain guard.
Thoughts ? :)

Attachments

• Shimano m750 outer ring conversion 002 (Custom).JPG
    Shimano m750 outer ring conversion 002 (Custom).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 828
The teeth don't look that bad. The drawback with the spider is the 112bcd size, no rings to really choose from aside xtr and they are hard to come by, especially the middle one.

As you've already got a dh spider, I'd go for the bash guard option.

Back