Cutting a thread in titanium Ringle seat QR

Silverfish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone tried it?
My threads aren’t quite long enough so need to cut a longer thread on the rod. Anyone done it before?

Last edited:
Tap cuts the thread in the hole, a die cuts the thread on the rod.
Ti is a sticky material, but not that hard. It picks up easily so just keep turning back and cleaning everything. The worst that will happen is you'll ruin your die.
Or snap the bolt!

Or it gauls, seizes and snaps the bolt of on the tap.

Still, it's doable, just got slow and asmr workshop says, back it off every 1/4 turn and flush it with wd40.

Use a washer on the lever side to space the QR so that you don’t need to extend the threads? If I’m imagining the problem correctly.

Use a washer on the lever side to space the QR so that you don’t need to extend the threads? If I’m imagining the problem correctly.
Would need to be a big washer 😢
It’s one of the original seat QR’s fully threaded
But there’s a ‘lip’ on it about 1/3rd down.
I’m going to try to cut a new thread and see if that works.

...and ti really doesn't like stress risers - so a home-cut thread on the clamp bolt could fail suddenly in use.
We all know what that feels like don't we?😵
And then how long do you spend grovelling in the bushes looking for the end cap?
The perfect fix is to get the right part and sell the one you've got to pay for it - but of course adapting and modifying is all part of fhe fun😃

Tried extending Ti threads on a Ti steerer once. Trashed the £££ cutting tool and it didnt do a good clean job ( used lots of lube, backedup threads to clean swarf etc ). And I have done steel hundreds of times before with no issues. Best left to a Prof or just find/buy exactly what you need. Good luck 😱

Back