Curtis Racelite - single speed jumper

Roasted

Kona Fan
I picked up this frame a few years ago after wanting one 20 years ago and want to build it up as a rigid single speed dirt jump bike. The frame is in good condition but the paint is pretty battered but I was thinking about keeping it as it is as I quite like the patina.

This frame is a bit weird as it has cable stops for gears but no mech hanger, what looks like some hydro guides (maybe ment for full outer brake cable) but no caliper mount and a BMX BB.

Unfortunately I know nothing about single speed or BMX BBs. What hub do I need? Should I have a standard mtb hub with a conversion or BMX type hub with spin on freewheel? What should I do with the BMX BB, keep as is or fit a converter for mtb BB? How is a BMX BB fitted?

I'd really like to find a perfect set Mavic D521s on the perfect hubs, ideally without disc mounts as I'll just be running one rear v-brake.

DSC_1640_copy_889x500.jpg

A set of steel cranks will look best (bmx style) look for DMR cranks, or if feeling plush some profile cranks. You can get adaptors (DMR used to do them) but mtb cranks don’t look as good on these frames.
wheel wise D521’s are quite tricky to get hold of, especially in ceramic which I prefer. I have a set of silver ones on Deore hubs on my kona which I will be swapping to hopes or something sealed at some point. Hub wise again try profile? Or maybe hope pro 2 trials as that’s a single speed.

Awesome frame BTW. Loved Curtis back in the day! Oh re the cable guides and no mech hanger, I think you could get a horizontal mech hanger thingy for these.

As above re mech hanger, You can get chain tugs that include a mech hanger. You'll probably need a set (with or without hanger) to align and hold the rear wheel in place.

A set of steel cranks will look best (bmx style) look for DMR cranks, or if feeling plush some profile cranks. You can get adaptors (DMR used to do them) but mtb cranks don’t look as good on these frames.
wheel wise D521’s are quite tricky to get hold of, especially in ceramic which I prefer. I have a set of silver ones on Deore hubs on my kona which I will be swapping to hopes or something sealed at some point. Hub wise again try profile? Or maybe hope pro 2 trials as that’s a single speed.

I have 2 sets of 3 piece cranks but the axle is the wrong size for the BB that's fitted. I'm now looking for some profile cranks to suit the axle that came with the frame. Unfortunately they're normally very expensive and pretty battered. Are there other bmx cranks that will fit on a Profile axle?

The wheels are giving me a headache though, I have found a couple of sets locally that could work.

Awesome frame BTW. Loved Curtis back in the day! Oh re the cable guides and no mech hanger, I think you could get a horizontal mech hanger thingy for these.

I went to a bike show in the early 2000 with a stack of cash to buy one but I couldn't decide on what options to get so left without putting the order in. But I have one now! One of the options was to have something stamped on the dropout up to 8 characters long. My frame has "Jackson" but also "Prototye 1", I wonder if my frame was a pre-production prototype frame?

As above re mech hanger, You can get chain tugs that include a mech hanger. You'll probably need a set (with or without hanger) to align and hold the rear wheel in place.

I'll be getting some chain tugs, the single speed thing is almost too complicated for me to work out!

I'll be running a single v-brake on the back and have some old LX or Avid SD7s ones that should be ok. I have a profile chainring that'll work well with some bmx cranks. Forks will be what ever rigid one look good and cheap. I have a black FSA Orbit MX headset that I'll fit in place of the unbranded one thats fitted. I have a selection of bars, I do have a set of really beefy x-lite risers that could work. Other than the wheels and cranks I'll also need a post, saddle, grips and chain.

What’s the rear dropout spacing? If it’s 135 then any (older) mtb rear hub will work. Bmx hubs would be 110 and track are 120

Nice, look forward to seeing this built up. I had a racelite BMX BITD and it rode very well.
I'd definitely go singlespeed on it, gears would just overcomplicate things IMO especially if you are going to ride it as intended.

Nice, look forward to seeing this built up. I had a racelite BMX BITD and it rode very well.
I'd definitely go singlespeed on it, gears would just overcomplicate things IMO especially if you are going to ride it as intended.

Will deffo be single speed. I now have some cranks, single speed wheels and rigid forks (might be a tad short). I think I need a post, saddle, chain, tyres and pedals to get now. Just got to finish building my current project before I start this one.

As some of my other builds are almost complete I investigated the Curtis a bit more and noticed its 24" wheel specific.

This sticker definitely says RaceLite 24
20210916_131428_copy_1155x649.jpg

Great, I had just bought some decent 26" wheels for it. I really need to heed the phrase "measure twice, buy wheels once"! And I don't really want another 24" bike, oh well!

Good news is I bought a DMR Sidekick frame (will be up for sale soon) as it came with some cranks, rigid forks and 24" tyres I wanted for various builds. It also came with some 24" wheels so I could put them on the bike to see what it looks like..........small! It looks really small.

20210916_122604.JPG

I've been trying to work out if I want to keep it tatty or completely refurb it. Curtis are still about and do refurbishments for about £170.

Back